[Vision2020] one injured in crossing

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Tue Sep 23 09:22:20 PDT 2008

Sunil says:
"I still think they shouldn't sail out; having the right of way doesn't
change the Newtonian principles in play."

Agreed.  Even with the relative politeness of drivers in Moscow, one
still should look both ways before crossing.  I don't trust any
motorists to see me, especially through the couplet or out on Hwy 8.

It boggles the mind that prior to the installation of that crosswalk
there had only been one vehicle/pedestrian accident (and it was at the
signalled intersection of Hwy8/Line), and now there have been three.

One also has to remember that since that is Hwy 8, ITD wields the
jurisdiction over it.  There are plans in the works to remedy the
situation.  The City, UI, and ITD are currently working together to
extend what is now Greenhouse Street on campus (by the, uh, greenhouses)
over to Hwy 8/Peterson, and ITD says they will put a signalled
intersection there.  I'm not 100% sure (especially with the exponential
rise in construction costs of late) but I think it is supposed to happen
in 2009-10.

This may come up in Transportation this week.  I'll be seeing ITD rep
Dave Couch there, so I'll pose the question.

DC