[Vision2020] Obama Does Not Support Infanticide

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 09:11:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 08:00,  <joekc at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> You could make a similar case with regard to any philosophical or political issue. Tell me, is it a
> reason to stop looking for a cure for cancer just because we haven't found one yet? If not, then
> I see no reason to stop looking for answers to life's difficult questions just because we haven't
> found the answer yet. It isn't a proof that we won't find an answer, that we won't find something
> new to say, that we won't make any progress just because up until now we haven't.

I couldn't, and wouldn't, make a similar case for cancer, because it
at least has the likelihood of being "solved."  The difficult question
of abortion -- not that I consider it particularly difficult -- is
permanently unsolvable.

Unsolvable things aren't uninteresting in and of themselves, and for
some, myself included, an unsolvable riddle if particularly, if
perversely, appealing.  But certain categories of contentious issues,
abortion being a primary example, never generate light by being
discussed, because everyone has already made up their mind, frequently
wrapped in an irrational paradigm.  It generates heat only, no light.

> And, of course, there is always the delete button!

Yes, there is.