[Vision2020] Why are we bailing out all these large

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Sep 21 18:32:58 PDT 2008

Thanks, Andreas, for squaring me away on my wrongful understanding of the
roots to this problem.

Your explanation put it somewhat into terms I, with my lowly BS degree in
Information Systems, can understand.  I am going to have to research this
a bit more before I make any further allegations.

My apologies for my misunderstanding and, once again . . .

My thanks,

> [...]
> accounts receivable and divide it by the amount to which you're
> leveraged. This causes ripple effects across the entire financial
> sector.
>
> I've got no problem with the government spending taxpayer money to
> bail out Wall Street. The CDOs (mortgage-backed securities) that the
> government is thinking of purchasing probably do have some underlying
> value. But if we're going to be buying a ton of bad debt, we should be
> canny consumers: we don't take on $700 billion worth of debt without
> getting something in return. An equity stake in every company from
> whom we buy CDOs should be fine. The US taxpayer having a seat on the
> board of directors of every major Wall Street firm would also provide
> an elegant solution to the regulation problem: each firm is regulated
> (by a federal trustee) to the extent it couldn't keep its own house in
> order*.
>
> -- ACS
>
> * Incidentally, despite what John McCain's commercials might be
> telling you, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had very little to do with
> this business. The definition of a 'subprime mortgage' is a mortgage
> which neither Fannie nor Freddie would take. Fannie and Freddie's
> problems were largely caused by (a) investor panic, (b) their
> attempts, while wearing their 'private corporation' hats, to compete
> at a level of risk higher than they ought to've, and (c) a massive
> liquidity crisis caused by everyone wanting to sell mortgages and no
> one willing to buy.
>
> ** Also incidentally, as a US taxpayer, you might be happy to know
> that since the AIG bailout, you now own a one-three-hundred-millionth
> stake in Manchester United, which I am told is a soccer team. They
> used to be a property of AIG: now they're yours. They're quite good.\
>
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Paul -
> >
> > It is my impression that this economic crapshoot was instigated by
> > deregulation of the industry under both Reagan and Bush Sr..
> >
> > It used to be that it was difficult (stringent requirements and
constant
> > federal monitoring) for banks, S&Ls, and other financial institutions
> > qualify for FDIC/FSLIC "protection".  Once Reagan removed these
requirements
> > and Bush Sr. drastically limited (if not eliminated) federal
> > monitoring, banks approved loans to people/businesses that possessed no
> > viable capability of ever repaying the loans and investment firms made
> > investments that would make third-world countries cringe.  These
financial
> > institutions were not concerned about going "out of business", not as
long
> > as they had that FDIC/FSLIC sticker on their doors.
> >
> > So, as Bush Jr. tries to pass himself and potentially McCain (who
> > coincidentally has been in the Senate since Nixon left the White
House) as
> > heroes to the American people, remember who made this all possible.
Hint:
> > It wasn't Obama.
> >
> > Tom Hansen
> > Moscow, Idaho
> >

> > ________________________________
> >> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:59:05 -0700
> >> From: godshatter at yahoo.com
> >> To: vision2020 at moscow.com
> >> Subject: [Vision2020] Why are we bailing out all these large
corporations?

> >> If a large corporation is about to go bankrupt because they loaned
money
> >> without proper collateral behind it and without a determination that
the
> >> person taking out the loan could reasonably pay it back, shouldn't we
> >> let it crash and burn? Isn't that what is so casually referred to as a
> >> "market correction"?
> >>
> >> I've heard it stated that there is something different about this
> >> situation - it's more dire and it could have a snowball effect on the
> >> rest of the economy or even the globe. Does anyone here know enough
> >> about this to explain that?
> >>
> >> What is so important about this situation that would result in the
> >> necessity for an Iraq War-sized expenditure?
> >>
> >> Or is it a case of the rich looking out for the rich, which I'm
> >> half-tempted to believe is the case.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>
> >> =======================================================
> >> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> >> serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.
> >> http://www.fsr.net
> >> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

> >  List services made available by First Step Internet,
> >               http://www.fsr.net

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"Jesus was a community organizer and Poncius Pilate was a governor."

- Marilyn Trail, sister of Representative Tom trail (September 8, 2008)

----

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)