[Vision2020] Lawyers' duty

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 11:55:42 PDT 2008

Sunil,

You write,

"Of course defense lawyers want to win when they go to trial.  That's our job."

That's my point. It doesn't matter to too many lawyers if they are right or wrong, or if they do harm to the overall community, or an innocent individual, they just want to win. That is what it is about for them.

 "Our only job is to represent the client regardless of our views of his or her guilt or innocence."

I disagree. Your first job is to be a responsible member of the community. Not to destroy it or bring harm to its innocents.

 "We are to represent them within the bounds of our ethical obligations and all applicable rules. "

That is another problem. Many lawyers don't have ethical obligations and rules are subject to the interpretation of the lawyer to fit his/her desired outcome.

" I have not yet had a client who wanted me to to lose the case for his or her benefit."

You have never had someone plead guilty? Try to get help. Just want a fair sentence in proportion to the offense?

"As to moral corruption, I'm not sure what you mean.  I would be corrupt if I did not try to win for my client."

I think a lawyer should do what is in the best interests of the client and the community. Work with the prosecutor and judge. Get the person fair sentence and treatment. Instead, we seem to often have a prosecutor that wants the death penalty for jaywalking or a defense attorney that wants the person free to commit crimes against the community with impunity if they had their way.

We have too many rights for the criminals, and little for the innocent. I am not aware of this type of behavior in our nation's past where criminals go free when it is so obvious to layman they are guilty and continue to do harm after they are released.

Look at Mark Foley, Micheal Jackson, OJ Simpson, Bill Ayers, and many other people go free that are clearly guilty of crimes against other humans. Many others get off with incredibly light sentences for the crimes they commit.

Further, if most lawyers really believed their clients right to a fair defense, they would not be charging $250 an hour, which clearly states, only the upper classes have the right to quality representation. What many lawyers really believe in is getting rich off the misfortune of others, with deception, and manipulation of the lawyers. Our legal system is about $$$$$. Not justice.

Best Regards,

Donovan