[Vision2020] Bernadine Dohrn (Mrs. Bill Ayers)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 20 08:44:44 PDT 2008

Greetings Visionaires -

Remember the reference I made to Bernadine Dohrn back at:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-September/056348.html

" . . . a statement presented by Bernadine Dohrn (who later married Bill
Ayers) declaring war against the US government back in 1969 as a member of
the SDS (Students for a Democratic Society)."

http://www.tomandrodna.com/speeches/Bernadine_Dohrn_1969.mp3

In case you are wondering what Bernadine is doing nowadays.  Wee . . . she
is writing columns, such as . . .

-----------------------

"Homeland Imperialism: Fear and Resistance"
By Bernadine Dohrn

http://www.monthlyreview.org/0703dohrn.htm

The creation and cultivation of fear is one of the pillars of empire both
abroad and within the imperial “homeland.” And that fear is always
accompanied by the threat of discipline, punishment, and violence. Every
state uses violence to enforce its power against its enemies, but we must
recognize that a major change has occurred. September 11, 2001 gave a
green light for a full blown, and bipartisan, agenda of repression at
home, as well as for the expanded imperial project abroad.

Yet it’s important when we talk of repression always to pair it with
resistance. As we pile up the evidence of consolidated state power we must
remember that a part of what has happened since 9/11 includes 2/15—that is
February 15 of this year, when as many as ten million people around the
world simultaneously joined to cry out against U.S. imperialism.

This robust and unified resistance to imperialism is indeed new, but in
the United States and elsewhere, it did not come from thin air. On the
local level, on the person-to-person level, incredible organizing work has
been underway focused on prisons, women’s health and safety, labor, the
environment, reparations, antiglobalization, solidarity with Latin
American and African countries, and human rights movements. Anti-death-
penalty struggles have, notably in my home state of Illinois, begun to
achieve great things.

These social movements and organizing from below are invisible to the U.S.
newspapers and CNN, but they are the cauldron in which people understand
the connections between issues and come to understand reality. And so as
we talk about the cultivation of fear and repression, we should note that
what looks strong is also weak. The message sent by the U.S. mass media is
not necessarily the message received.

Miles Horton founded the Highlander Center in 1938, in its time a center
for adult organizing and education throughout the South, and indeed
throughout the country. He often told a simple little story. In the mid-
sixties, the Klan put up a series of billboards across the South with a
famous picture of Martin Luther King at Highlander. It showed several
people from the Communist Party, as well as Martin Luther King and Rosa
Parks, sitting in the front row of a lecture. It had a circle around Dr.
King’s head and the caption “Martin Luther King at communist training
school.”

Miles described going with a carload of young teenagers to a civil rights
demonstration in the South, and as they passed one billboard nobody in the
car said anything. As they passed a second one somebody in the back
said, “Hmmm.” And when they passed a third one, a kid in the back seat
said, “You know, that’s the dumbest poster I’ve ever seen, because they
don’t tell you who to call.” The powers that be think they’re giving one
message, but it’s actually being received in other ways.

The scope of the current repression is vast, and as separate resistances
are created it is our task to unite them. There’s no detail too small for
repression at this moment. Under attack are state medical marijuana
statutes (an attack initiated by the Clinton administration), end of life
statutes in Oregon, abortion, the judiciary, environmental protections,
social security, public education, women’s rights, and a range of
progressive measures from birth control to OSHA regulations. Far-right and
neoconservative cultural activists are assigned to each of these domains
to implement a reactionary plan that has been articulated since 1964. A
part of their strategy includes the culture wars and the criminalizing of
the sixties.

The heart of today’s repression is the American addiction to caging
African-American people, especially young men. This is the model for the
cage in which they now seek to place the entire world. The mass
incarceration of people of color took place through a very deliberate
cultivation of fear, the legend of a crime wave, and the invention of the
super-predator myth during a decade when crime rates plummeted. Key facts
about the United States are that prison construction and staffing has
become the largest sector of state budgets, the fastest growing major on
college campuses is criminal justice, and the fastest growing union has
been the union of prison guards. When Angela Davis speaks of the “prison
industrial complex,” she’s not kidding. It has become a major set piece of
economic, social, and cultural life and what is at its core is the caging
of young African-American men, overwhelmingly for nonviolent offenses.

How has this happened? The field was well prepared in U.S. history, but it
was sown with the development of fear promoted on the nightly news, the
anxiety that strangers were coming through your window, the imagery of
young kids shooting each other and shooting up high schools, and the
conviction that this was likely to happen in your neighborhood, although
all the facts were to the contrary.

And so the legacy of slavery, the modern day version of slavery, is
reflected one way in prisons but it is also visible in the transformation
of schools. Schools in America have become barricaded places of fear.
People who don’t have their own youngsters in school today may not realize
what’s happened to the environment where our young people spend seven
hours of their day. You can’t get into a school and you can’t get out.
Surveillance is pervasive. There are lock downs, body searches, and dogs.
There are armed guards. And all of this is in schools that have never seen
a violent incident. The fear of violence and the notion that it is likely
to come from anywhere, including from our young people, has been the
precursor and the trial run for what’s now happened in all of our public
spaces and airports.

Now we have war abroad and war at home. The second stage of the process is
the silencing. Ari Fleischer, the day after 9/11, proclaimed “beware of
what you say” and announced that you’re for us or you’re against us. The
Jihad is here, at home, and it’s going to be enforced by the
neoconservatives; consider the full-page ads that the New York Times seems
to run once a month from people like William Bennett. Such an ad
(“Americans for Victory over Terrorism”) states as its purpose: “we will
take to task those who ‘blame America first.’ ” The target of this
Jihad “against terrorism” is the population here at home; and so this
notion of “taking to task” means menacing and disciplining, threatening,
and silencing people like Susan Sontag, Bill Maher, Danny Glover, and
university faculty in places all over the country. The result is a
chilling effect. That is to say, people around the targets back away, get
silent, don’t stand up when they see the cost of simply expressing your
opinion or even making a joke, let alone publicly objecting to what’s
going on.

The actual tools of repression, the USA Patriot Act and now the bill
creating a Department of Homeland Security, were passed in a way that took
even the lawyers and legislators who passed them weeks to figure out what
they had done. The Patriot Act is 348 pages long; it passed two weeks
after 9/11. No one even knew what made it in or out of the homeland
security act until the final moment, and still the INS is trying to figure
out which of its functions are assigned to which agency.

The Patriot Act created a new federal crime of domestic terrorism. It is
important to recognize the broad brush of what now counts as “terrorism.”
I am part of a children’s law center in Chicago. We represent children in
court. We have seen this tremendous mushrooming of young students, of
course primarily African-American and Latino youth, getting expelled from
school for “terroristic” threats. The word alone creates fear, and by now
almost anything manages to scare a lot of Americans.

Here’s the language from the Homeland Security Act: “Acts dangerous to
human life that are a violation of the criminal laws if they appear to be
intended to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or
coercion.” Malevolent prosecutors and judges (and we do not lack for them)
could sweep anything under such language. “Acts dangerous to human life”
might be read to include attempting to block any street on which there is
vehicular traffic. And think for a moment of the phrase “appear to be
intended to influence.” The tools are in place to criminalize, as domestic
terrorism, basic protests, and civil disobedience. Can you doubt that they
had Seattle in 1999 in mind?

Prosecutions are underway that are reminiscent of the indictments of the
early-fifties McCarthy period and the conspiracy indictments of the early
seventies pre-Watergate Mitchell Department of Justice, the two most
recent periods of overtly political repression. For example, John Ashcroft
has orchestrated a series of high profile indictments against Islamic
charities, including the Holy Land Foundation in Texas and the Benevolent
Association in Chicago. In the Chicago case Ashcroft flew in to announce
the indictments. A year later all the terrorist charges were dropped and
the head of the organization pled to one corruption charge, involving
improper reporting of received funds. It will not surprise you that the TV
coverage of the indictment was hysterical, but of the plea quite
restrained. The aim was to accustom the U.S. public to, and intimidate the
judiciary from interfering with, the repression of freedom of association,
and they are no doubt pleased with the results.

Now one must look abroad, or at least as far as Guantanamo, to see the
full extent of what is in the works. What were accepted restraints on U.S.
power for decades have been shattered. We are talking of torture and
extrajudicial executions or assassinations. We have now had the example of
the United States executing people on the soil of a state at peace with
the United States with no evidence, no charges, and no legal process
whatsoever. Torture, like slavery, is practically the only thing in
international law and human rights that’s an absolute. There are no
exceptions to it. Torture is banned; every country in the world has signed
on. But we have Guantanamo. We have U.S. troops and CIA forces
implementing “stress and duress tactics” as they call them, and we have
the U.S. admittedly handing prisoners over to torture by other cooperating
states. This too has not happened out of thin air; the techniques
developed in the last twenty years in “control units” in maxi-maxi prisons
in the United States are barely a step short of Guantanamo.

So the long and short is that our task is to keep on organizing
politically. The structures of opposition are there. We need to make the
connections between these issues so that people better understand state
power, and don’t see imperialism as only an optional foreign policy. On
the human scale, it’s essential to stand up in solidarity. I don’t think
you can overestimate how important it is, when someone is under attack, to
write them a note, to call them up, to object, to stand up and say that
you disagree and you think they’re acting courageously. That stuff
matters. The failure to do it gets noted, and where support is expressed
it is powerful.

A friend and colleague at the university has been passing around a poster
that he made on a Xerox machine. It’s a faded picture of four aging Native
Americans at the turn of the century in their indigenous dress. They’re
all holding rifles and they’re not posing. They are standing with their
rifles looking directly into the camera. And the banner across it
says “homeland security, fighting terrorism since 1492.” That’s our
tradition.

She also wrote an article titled "She Challenged the Rules" at:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/0104dohrn.htm

footnote to Jeff Harkins:  Bernadine Dohrn (University of Chicago, Class
of '66) - Just another bright star that lights up the University of
Chicago campus.

Now, if you will excuse me, I really must get to Farmers' market.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)