[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Famous Speeches

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Sep 16 08:27:44 PDT 2008

Oh Nick, you are predictable - the carrot and stick again.

I did find your comments interesting, but I see
no point in pursuing a dialogue on this
topic.  We are not of a common world view and it
is unlikely that either of us would persuade the other to alter that view.

I don't accept your view that my review of the
invocation of God into famous speeches was a
flop, In contrast to your statement that I was
attempting to " ... do the theology of political
leaders ...", I was merely pointing out that many
famous leaders have invoked or called upon God to
assist them in their decision making.

Is it your position that Churchill, Kennedy,
Johnson, King and others were pandering to their constituents?

As to your view that you are not on the "left",
that does seem to be a catalyst of cognition
among Americans during this election cycle.  It
is alarming concept to many of us that the "real left" is left of you.

Finally, we both benefit from a Constitution that
preserves religious freedom - neither of our
views, nor the views of others can be silenced by intimidation.

Maybe we can talk about the health insurance
benefits and life insurance for UI faculty and staff.

Haven't seen much from you on this.