[Vision2020] Jamie's War Wound: A Human Interest Story

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 15 15:40:49 PDT 2008

>From the Army Times at:

http://www.ArmyTimes.com

Jamie’s war wounds

She adopted her Air Force dog and married the soldier who saved her. But
she’s still struggling to recover
By Michael Hoffman - mhoffman at militarytimes.com

Every married couple has a story about the first time they met. Mike and
Jamie Mangan met on the battlefield in Iraq.

She was severely wounded, and he almost let her die.

Jamie, then an Air Force K-9 handler with the 21st Security Forces
Squadron, was patrolling Baghdad on June 25, 2005, with her working dog,
Rex. They were searching for improvised explosive devices.

On the drive back to base in her Humvee, Jamie drove over one.

The explosion flung her onto the street, where she lay unconscious. Mike,
an Army sergeant first class with the 1159th Medical Company, was the
first medic to reach her.

Jamie’s lungs had collapsed, her pelvis was shattered, and three vertebrae
in her spine were fractured. Mike later discovered she also was bleeding
internally, and her spleen had ruptured.

He had to make a snap decision: Should he spend time trying to save her
or — due to the seriousness of her injuries — move on to help others who
might have a better chance of surviving?

As luck would have it, several factors allowed him to focus on Jamie.

The helicopter that took him and other soldiers to the scene was ready to
depart immediately, so he got there quicker than usual. In addition, he
had a new medic working with him, so he could afford to spend time with
Jamie.

“If I hadn’t had the extra medic that day and we had been five minutes
later, she would have been someone I had to leave behind,” he said.

When Mike finally left Jamie’s side, he had no reason to think he would
see her again. And he wouldn’t have — except for Rex.

The German shepherd survived the IED attack with only a singed nose and
was found walking near the blast site. Jaime, rehabbing at Walter Reed
Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., thought the dog had been killed,
but once she found out he survived, she wanted to adopt him.

Rex was nowhere near retirement age, however, and under Title 10, U.S.
Code 2583, the Air Force couldn’t release Rex if he was still young and
healthy enough to work.

Jamie chose to fight that law, going public with her plea. Many newspapers
and TV news stations carried stories on her plight. Soon, members of
Congress and former Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley took
notice and backed her request.

On Dec. 30, 2005, President Bush signed into law a bill to allow working
dogs to be adopted by their handlers after a traumatic event.

So Jamie was able to take Rex home. Together, they attended the 2006 State
of the Union speech as guests of first lady Laura Bush in the House
gallery.

“The entire process was a neat deal,” said Jamie’s dad, Randy Himes. “Rex
is now part of the family. We have not one but two Air Force members now.”

Budding romance
Home from his deployment to Kirkuk, Iraq, Mike, 47, read about Jamie’s
battle to bring Rex home and instantly recognized her face.

By then, Jamie was back at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. One of Mike’s
friends, an officer at the base, sent pictures of the ceremony when she
received the Purple Heart. The friend encouraged him to call her.

He did.

“I started off saying, ‘I want to apologize ahead of time if this upsets
you, but my name is Mike and I was the flight medic the day you were
wounded,’” he recalled.

“Then there was just silence and I was like, ‘Man, I stepped on it.’”

Stunned, Jamie eventually explained that she was trying to piece together
what happened after the IED exploded. She had no coherent memories for a
month after the blast occurred. She and Mike talked for 45 minutes.

“She ended the conversation saying, ‘Thank you for saving my life.’ I just
said, ‘Don’t say that to me on the telephone. I want to meet you,’” Mike
said.

The two spoke on the phone and e-mailed for three months before Mike — who
was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. — went to Peterson in August
2006.

“It was great that I got to say thank you,” she said. “I also got to fill
in some voids and, at the same time, I felt the need to get to know him.”

Medically retired.
Jamie, 29, had dreamed of becoming a veterinarian after her service, but
when she returned to school, it was impossible for her to concentrate or
study for tests.

“I used to be a straight-A student, but now I can’t learn new things or
remember formulas,” she said.

The IED had left her with traumatic brain injury, the signature wound of
the Iraq war.

She has the classic symptoms: memory loss, migraine headaches, difficulty
concentrating and violent mood swings.

“In the beginning, you would call her and she would never call you back
just because she could never remember,” said Staff Sgt. Tony Davis, a
former co-worker.

Jamie still suffers excruciating pain that makes it hard to walk and to
sleep at night, she said.

The jagged scars on her chest serve as a reminder of the multiple
surgeries she endured. Doctors removed her spleen and fused her spine to
the inside of her pelvis after the attack.

Jamie said it’s unlikely she’ll be able to have children.

Also, her injuries forced her to medically retire as a technical sergeant.

“Leaving the Air Force was real difficult for her,” Himes said.

Reunion
Mike flew to Peterson for Jamie’s retirement ceremony, and the two began
dating.

Jamie moved back East to her hometown of Smethport, Pa., to be closer to
her family.

Mike retired from the Army in June 2007 as a first sergeant after 26 years
and moved to Pennsylvania, where he works at the local hospital as a
registered nurse.

Four months after they started dating, the two got married in a small
ceremony in November 2006.

“I think Mike would have liked to have had a bigger wedding, but I just
couldn’t handle it, and he understood that,” Jamie said.

Mike and Jamie lean on each other for support.

“There are good days and bad days,” he said. “There are days she is in so
much pain she can’t even sleep and there are times her mind isn’t in the
same ZIP code ... but at least I know the source of the pain and it’s
easier when you are both dealing with it,” Mike said.

Jamie now investigates child abuse cases as a social worker for the McKean
County Children and Youth Services Agency.

She also volunteers as an emergency medical technician for the Hamlin
Township fire department, where her father is the chief.

But what Jamie says she finds most therapeutic is working with Rex and
taking care of her five horses.

“It’s mentally relaxing just brushing them,” she said. The horses “don’t
judge you or demand anything from you. I just can’t connect with people
anymore, it’s too stressful.”

However, Jamie says she could soon lose those horses because she won’t be
able to afford them. The Veterans Affairs Department recently reduced her
disability rating from 100 percent to 70 percent, following a medical re-
examination. That cut her monthly disability payment from $2,500 to $1,100.

Retired Army Lt. Col. Mike Parker, who helps service members navigate the
VA process, said it’s not uncommon for ratings to drop as a patient gets
better.

But Mike said he finds it difficult to understand.

“I don’t look at it as critical income, but for you to give up your organs
like that, and then someone says it’s not worth that compensation anymore.
Geez.”

Losing those organs isn’t what bothers Jamie the most, though. It’s her
luck.

The hardest part of her recovery has been thinking of the more than 1,800
service members who have died from IED blasts.

“I have a hard time with the fact that I survived,” she said. “Maybe
[Mike] should have just walked away. There are so many soldiers who have
died that have kids and had families.

“I don’t have kids. I don’t have anyone that needed me there. I just wish
I could have taken somebody else’s place.”

"Jesus was a community organizer and Poncius Pilate was a governor."

- Marilyn Trail, sister of Representative Tom trail (September 8, 2008)

----

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.