[Vision2020] Famous Speeches

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 13 09:37:54 PDT 2008

Among the numerous quotes listed below is this one:

Franklin Roosevelt, Declaration of War to Japan, Dec. 8, 1941
I ask that the Congress declare that since the
unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on
Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has
existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

What does this have to do with divine intervention? In fact, what do most of
the quotes below have to do with divine intervention? I haven't read them all
but none of the ones that I read are like the Palin quote. Many of them
merely mention the word "God." Maybe you could sift through the lot and find
one or two that will support your point.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Jeff Harkins <jeffh at moscow.com> wrote:

=============
Those who have criticized Gov. Sarah Palin for
her remarks on divine intervention might do well
to review this sampling of quotations from some
of the world's greatest leaders.

Enjoy.

All quotations, except for the quotes from the
Declaration of Independence, are taken from the
website: http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/

Winston Churchill, The Retreat from Flanders Speech, June 4th, 1940
We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the
end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and
oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence
and growing strength in the air. We shall defend
our island whatever the cost may be; we shall
fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in
streets and on the hills. We shall never
surrender and even if, which I do not for the
moment believe, this island or a large part of it
were subjugated and starving, then our empire
beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British
Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's
good time the New World with all its power and
might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old.
Franklin Roosevelt, Declaration of War to Japan, Dec. 8, 1941
I ask that the Congress declare that since the
unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on
Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has
existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.
General George S. Patton, The Final Pep-Talk , May 17th, 1944
There's one great thing you men can say when it's
all over and you're home once more. You can thank
God that twenty years from now, when you're
sitting around the fireside with your grandson on
your knee and he asks you what you did in the
war, you won't have to shift him to the other
knee, cough, and say, "I shovelled shit in Louisiana."
General Dwight D. Eisenhower, The D-Day Order Speech, June 6th, 1944
The tide has turned.
The free men of the world are marching together
to victory. I have full confidence in your
courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle.
We will accept nothing less than full victory.
Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings
of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.
Martin Luther King, Jr., The Birth of a New Nation, April 7th, 1957

Moses might not get to see Canaan, but his
children will see it. He even got to the
mountaintop enough to see it and that assured him
that it was coming. But the beauty of the thing
is that there’s always a Joshua to take up his
work and take the children on in. And it’s there
waiting with its milk and honey, and with all of
the bountiful beauty that God has in store for
His children. Oh, what exceedingly marvellous
things God has in store for us. Grant that we
will follow Him enough to gain them.
O God, our gracious Heavenly Father, help us to
see the insights that come from this new nation.
Help us to follow Thee and all of Thy creative
works in this world, and that somehow we will
discover that we are made to live together as
brothers And that it will come in this
generation: the day when all men will recognize
the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. Amen.
Pres. John F. Kennedy, Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You, Jan. 1, 1961
Finally, whether you are citizens of America or
citizens of the world, ask of us the same high
standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask
of you. With a good conscience our only sure
reward, with history the final judge of our
deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love,
asking His blessing and His help, but knowing
that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.
Pres. John F. Kennedy, We Choose to go to the Moon, Sept. 12, 1962
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb
it, and the moon and the planets are there, and
new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And,
therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing
on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest
adventure on which man has ever embarked.
President John F. Kennedy, Cuban Missile Crisis, Oct. 22, 1962
Our goal is not the victory of might, but the
vindication of right-not peace at the expense of
freedom, but both peace and freedom, here in this
hemisphere, and, we hope, around the world. God
willing, that goal will be achieved.

Martin Luther King, Jr., I Have a Dream, Aug. 28th, 1963
When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring
from every village and every hamlet, from every
state and every city, we will be able to speed up
that day when all of God's children, black men
and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and
Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in
the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at
last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
Martin Luther King, Jr. Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech, Dec. 10th, 1964
You honour the ground crew without whose labour
and sacrifices the jet flights to freedom could
never have left the earth. Most of these people
will never make the headlines and their names
will not appear in Who's Who. Yet when years have
rolled past and when the blazing light of truth
is focused on this marvellous age in which we
live, men and women will know and children will
be taught that we have a finer land, a better
people, a more noble civilization, because these
humble children of God were willing to suffer for righteousness' sake.
Pres. Lyndon B Johnson, We Shall Overcome, March 15th, 1965
Above the pyramid on the great seal of the United
States it says-in Latin - "God has favoured our
undertaking." God will not favour everything that
we do. It is rather our duty to divine His will.
But I cannot help bee believing that He truly
understands and that He really favours the
undertaking that we begin here tonight.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Time to Break Silence, August 28th, 1963
Now let us begin. Now let us rededicate ourselves
to the long and bitter, but beautiful, struggle
for a new world. This is the calling of the sons
of God, and our brothers wait eagerly for our response.
Martin Luther King, Jr. , I See the Promised Land,  April 3rd, 1968
Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've
got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't
matter with me now. Because I've been to the
mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I
would like to live a long life. Longevity has its
place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I
just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me
to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over.
And I've seen the promised land. I may not get
there with you. But I want you to know tonight,
that we, as a people will get to the promised
land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried
about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine
eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Robert F. Kennedy, Death of Martin Luther King, Jr., April 4th, 1968
My favourite poet was Aeschylus. He wrote: "In
our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by
drop upon the heart until, in our own despair,
against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God."
Pres. Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address,  Jan. 20th, 1981

It does require, however, our best effort and our
willingness to believe in ourselves and to
believe in our capacity to perform great deeds,
and to believe that together with God's help, we
can and will resolve the problems which now confront us.
And after all, why shouldn't we believe that? We are Americans.
God bless you and thank you.
Pres. Ronald Reagan, Address to the British Parliament, June 8th, 1982
The British people know that, given strong
leadership, time and a little bit of hope, the
forces of good ultimately rally and triumph over
evil. Here among you is the cradle of
self-government, the Mother of Parliaments. Here
is the enduring greatness of the British
contribution to mankind, the great civilized
ideas: individual liberty, representative
government, and the rule of law under God.
Pres. Bill Clinton, I Have Sinned, Sept. 11, 1998

But I believe that to be forgiven, more than
sorrow is required - at least two more things.
First, genuine repentance - a determination to
change and to repair breaches of my own making. I
have repented. Second, what my bible calls a
''broken spirit''; an understanding that I must
have God's help to be the person that I want to
be; a willingness to give the very forgiveness I
seek; a renunciation of the pride and the anger
which cloud judgment, lead people to excuse and
compare and to blame and complain.
Pres. Bill Clinton, I Have Sinned, Sept. 11, 1998
I thank my friend for that. I thank you for being
here. I ask you to share my prayer that God will
search me and know my heart, try me and know my
anxious thoughts, see if there is any hurtfulness
in me, and lead me toward the life everlasting. I
ask that God give me a clean heart, let me walk by faith and not sight.
I ask once again to be able to love my neighbour
- all my neighbours - as my self, to be an
instrument of God's peace; to let the words of my
mouth and the meditations of my heart and, in the
end, the work of my hands, be pleasing. This is
what I wanted to say to you today.
Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all
men are created equal, that they are endowed by
their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty and the
pursuit of Happiness. ­ That to secure these
rights, Governments are instituted among Men,
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
and
And for the support of this Declaration, with a
firm reliance on the protection of Divine
Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our
Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.