[Vision2020] Washington state tries 4-day week to save money

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Sep 11 23:55:05 PDT 2008

I have not read the proposal in depth, but it is my understanding
that the state offices will remain open Mon through Friday, but will
be staffed by folks working 4 10 hour shifts.  The savings will
accrue to employees - one less day of work per week.

In discussions in several states (reported sometime ago in Governing
(an academic journal - I don't have the cite handy), cities and
counties have determined that reducing government services to only 4
days per week could actually impose additional costs on taxpayers
(less flexibility) and reduce benefits. Bottom line - here is no free lunch.

Those interested in this topic should keep an eye out in the academic
accounting journals featuring governmental accounting.  This is a hot
area for publishing - a lot of governmental entities are exploring
this strategy.  Another hot topic is eliminating duplicate services
(local example - Joint Law Enforcement Center).  Lots of opportunity
for cost saving - but it does threaten traditional power structures.