[Vision2020] And the Hits Just keep On Coming . . .

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Sep 11 11:53:54 PDT 2008

It is an excellent example of just how biased you are in sending
these snip its to us.

Here is the full article (please note that Palin is never mentioned
in the article - only the police chief, the one responsible for the
rape test kit):

Published on Monday, May 22, 2000 9:00 PM AKDT
JO C. GOODE / The Frontiersman / May 23, 2000

ANCHORAGE - Gov. Tony Knowles recently signed legislation protecting
victims of sexual assault from being billed for tests to collect
evidence of the crime, but one local police chief said the new law
will further burden taxpayers.

The governor signed House Bill 270, sponsored by Rep. Eric Croft,
D-Anchorage, outside the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) exam
room at Alaska Regional Hospital. In attendance at the signing were
members of victims advocate groups, law enforcement agencies and legislators.

<http://adsys.townnews.com/c57627726/creative/frontiersman.com/+bigad/140816-1217638082.gif?r=http://www.dancersworkshopak.org>
*

The new law makes it illegal for any law enforcement agency to bill
victims or victims insurance companies for the costs of examinations
that take place to collect evidence of a sexual assault or determine
if a sexual assault did occur.

We would never bill the victim of a burglary for fingerprinting and
photographing the crime scene, or for the cost of gathering other
evidence, Knowles said. Nor should we bill rape victims just because
the crime scene happens to be their bodies.

While the Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies
have covered the cost of exams, which cost between $300 to $1,200
apiece, the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of
sexual assault for the tests.

Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon does not agree with the new
legislation, saying the law will require the city and communities to
come up with more funds to cover the costs of the forensic exams.

In the past weve charged the cost of exams to the victims insurance
company when possible. I just dont want to see any more burden put on
the taxpayer, Fannon said.

According to Fannon, the new law will cost the Wasilla Police
Department approximately $5,000 to $14,000 a year to collect evidence
for sexual assault cases.

Ultimately it is the criminal who should bear the burden of the added
costs, Fannon said.

The forensic exam is just one part of the equation. Id like to see
the courts make these people pay restitution for these things, Fannon said.

Fannon said he intends to include the cost of exams required to
collect evidence in a restitution request as a part of a criminals sentencing.

Palmer police chief Laren Zager said that to his knowledge, no sexual
assault victim has ever been billed by the city of Palmer for an exam
to collect evidence of a crime. Zager, who has been police chief
since January, said he would never expect a victim to be burdened
with the cost of a police investigation.

Im prepared to pay every dime in an investigation. As long as I am
chief, I would never bill a victim, Zager said.

The new bill would also make law enforcement agencies that are
investigating a sexual assault responsible for the costs of testing
victims for sexually transmitted diseases and emergency contraception.