[Vision2020] PR- Human Rights Commission Hosts Civility Forum

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Sep 10 11:36:13 PDT 2008

Press Release - Human Rights Commission Host Civility Forum

To:      Interested Media

From:  Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor

            206 E. 3rd St., Moscow, Idaho 83843

Telephone: (208) 883-7006; Fax: (208) 883-7018

E-mail: griedner at ci.moscow.id.us

c:         Mayor, City Council, City Management Team

Re:      City of Moscow Press Release

Date:   September 9, 2008

For Immediate Release:

Human Rights Commission Hosts Civility Forum

Moscow, Idaho, September 9, 2008 - The City of Moscow's Human Rights Commission plans to host a Civility Forum on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 from 7 - 9 p.m. at the Hamilton Indoor Recreation Center, 1724 East F Street.  The purpose of this forum is to promote civility in public dialogue.

The Commission feels that too often in today's civic discourse, the free exchange of ideas and opinions is not respected.  Television commentators all too often tell their invited guests to "Just Shut Up!"  Anonymous postings on internet chat rooms often lend themselves to abusive personal attacks.

This forum will explore the ways in which we as citizens, public office holders and seekers of public office can communicate our opinions and positions on community topics while respectfully listening to the contrary opinions of others.  The road blocks and pitfalls encountered in the act of speaking and listening with others on topics that may be emotionally charged will also be examined.

Moderator Tim Gresback states, "Politics in Moscow should not be like a full contact sporting event.  This is not a red or blue problem: it's a community problem."

Moscow Human Rights Chair Ken Faunce states, "We are fully aware that a simple forum cannot cause both ends of the community to forever set aside differences.  They can, however, appreciate differences, find common ground and better serve our community.  The alternative lets the shouters and name-callers shape public policy."

Moscow Human Rights Commissioner Andrew Becker notes, "This forum will help people in the community and people running for public office come together to discuss issues and concerns.  It will help people better understand one another and express opinions without ridicule or negativity."

###

For more information about the Human Rights Commission Civility Forum, please contact Tim Gresback, Chair and Moderator at 208-882-2222 or by email at gresbacklaw at yahoo.com.

Jen Pfiffner

City of Moscow