[Vision2020] The surge succeeded?

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 9 12:21:14 PDT 2008

Hi Loren:

You make some very good points, especially about the historical ties between the Maliki government and Iran.  The Badr Brigade is made up of Shia exiles living in Iran where they were trained and equipped by Iran.  During the early months of the war we escorted them across the border into Iraq so that they could participate in a civil war with Iraqi's Sunnis!

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, a Kurd who speaks the Iranian language Farsi and took Iran's side in the devastating Iran-Iraq War, was especially friendly to Ahmadinejad when he visited Iraq this year.  Talabani asked the Iranian president to call him "Uncle Jalal" and they held hands and kissed each other.

I've attached my column "Obama is Right about the Surge" for those who might have missed it.  I also attach the column I wrote on the 5th anniversary of the war.

Nick