[Vision2020] Separation Of Church And State Marginalized: Sarah Palin's Church Speech

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 02:45:24 PDT 2008

Respect for the separation of church and state is not an
essential criteria that McCain considered when choosing a vice presidential
candidate, given Sarah Palin's explicit linking of her religion and the
goals of government.  In fact, given the realities of US politics at this
time in history, any candidate for president or vice president must
announce, and back up by action, they are a devout Christian, or they will
have a limited chance of election.  Witness Obama's repeated insistence he
is not Muslim, his emphasis on his Christian faith, and the attacks, by
those wishing to undermine his campaign, that he has a Muslim background.

Does anyone realistically think a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Wiccan, Atheist
or Agnostic, would have a chance of election as president?  Mitt Romney is
far more qualified than McCain as CEO of the US, yet who doubts his Mormon
heritage, viewed by many Christians as questionably "Christian," was a
negative?  Or that any presidential candidate would choose someone
representing those other spiritual orientations listed, as a VP candidate?
Certainly Obama's choice of devout Catholic Joe Biden for VP supports this
theory, though I trust Biden supports the separation of church and state
more than it appears Palin does.

Religion dominates the US political landscape.  It is more prejudicial for a
candidate for the presidency or VP to be other than Christian as a religious
orientation, than it is for the candidate to be of a "racial" minority, or
of the female gender. * *
**
*I suppose this is some sort of progress!*

Religion is a dominate form of prejudice in politics.  No, I am not offering
exhaustive research at this time to back up this claim... I have offered
exhaustive research to this list on other issues, and it is ignored and
mocked by those with an irrational bias.  Nonetheless, this claim appears to
have merit.  Why else does Karl Rove tailor Republican strategy aimed at
earning the Christian evangelical vote, certainly a partial reason to choose
Palin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1vPYbRB7k&feature=related