[Vision2020] Missed votes

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Sep 4 20:58:54 PDT 2008

Hi Nick,

No, I do not think you were wrong with your numbers.  Actually, I had
compiled both Obama and McCain numbers and they were reasonably
close.  Odd, VoteSmart had considerably more bills associated with
McCain so a direct comparison lacked research integrity.  In any
case, I ran out of time posting the numbers to an email so I just
posted the Obama numbers, figuring that an Obama supporter would jump
in with the McCain numbers.  You came through!

End result - both these guys missed a lot of votes - I really object
to paying folks for running for office.

But what I suggest is that since Vote Smart has identified 3 dozen or
so categories of bills, the viz folks could look at a topic every day
or so and discuss (debate) the variance between the candidates on the
bills related to that topic.

Vote Smart uses some kind of algorithm to parse bills into a category
of Key Bills - their narrative about the parsing gives the concept
but not the details - and we could probably gain something by just
focusing on those key items although if something interesting outside
of the key bill set comes up, I see no harm in including it.

Also, some topics can just be passed over because no amount of
discussion is going to add much to the knowledge about the
candidate.  For example, I suggest we skip "abortion issues" .

But the next topic would be relevant to our county and state, e.g.,
agricultural issues. The "farm bill" always has an impact on our local farmers.

Anyway, that is my suggestion.