[Vision2020] [SPAM] Re: Restoring Democracy in the American Workplace

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 3 13:43:10 PDT 2008

Hi Kai:

I bet if you matched the list of corporate villains and the dollar
amounts of their corruption over the same period, it would far exceed
this list.  The housing market debacle is just one of them and it
will be difficult to calculate the loss surrounding 100,000s of homes
standing empty being robbed of their innards and lost to the tax rolls.

With regard to this bill, this is the one time that I wish that the
president had a line-item veto.  The funds should be restored but
only if Senate Republicans agree to a majority vote on the Employee
Free Choice Act.  Why should the 60 million worker who want to vote
for a union be punished for the sins of the few.  If they think
unions are so corrupt (their employers will certainly tell them so),
they will vote accordingly.

The vote has to be fair, not under the coercive conditions that union
representation votes now occur.  Employees report twice as much
coercion during union elections as they do during card signing
drives, which current law allows employers to waive in favor of
elections that don't even come close to the elections that you and I
participate in.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick
Hi Kai: