[Vision2020] Irresponsible

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 2 23:15:27 PDT 2008

Greetings:

Thanks, Ellen.  This is so important that I have pasted the article below.

Do we want a woman with such poor judgment backing up a man who has also shown poor judgment as leaders of the free world?  I tremble at such a thought.

Nick Gier

Doctor Lissa's Health Care Examiner

Sarah Palin's Baby: Did Her Doctor Advise Her of Was This Her Decision?

Sept. 2, 2008

Much has been written recently about Sarah Palin's baby, Trig, (even whether it was hers).  I think the most skeptical can admit that it is, but I have another concern that I don't think has been discussed adequately.
That concern relates to Trig Palin's labor and delivery.  As a former L & D nurse and mother of two myself, I admit to incredulousness at the circumstances leading to his birth.
First, let's establish the facts:
•	Sara Palin is 43+, which puts her in a high risk category for a number of issues, among them preterm birth
•	This was her fifth baby.  Multigravidas notoriously deliver quickly, as their bodies don't respond as they did with their first or second.
•	Trig Palin was identified as having Down syndrome in utero.   The test is typically done between 16-18 weeks of pregnancy, and while not conclusive, is fairly accurate.  (I don't know if she had chorionic villus sampling ,CVS, or not).
•	Ms. Palin reports she was in Dallas to give a speech and noticed her membranes had ruptured (she should know).
•	Her baby was not due for another 4-5 weeks from estimates I have heard which makes him premature, about 35-36 weeks, (not greatly, but early nevertheless)
Now, this is a high risk mother (age), multigravida, with a preterm special needs baby and leaking membranes. Ok, I don 't know what her doctor advised her to do, but what should you do?
•	Contact your doctor immediately
•	If you have a sudden rush of fluid, lie down as soon as you can, especially if your baby is not term.
•	Depending on the number of weeks in the pregnancy, you may need antibiotics to prevent infection or medications to eliminate early contractions.
•	You may be instructed to go to the nearest hospital for monitoring and/or delivery or directed to your hospital if you are close and not in Dallas.
•	If you are like Sarah Palin, and high risk, choose a large hospital with high risk services, not a small community hospital that might not have emergency personnel at hand or may need to transfer the baby to a larger facility.
What are the complications say from getting on an airplane and riding for 8+ hours and driving another 45 minutes to a remote hospital when you know your membranes have ruptured or are leaking?
•	Infection of the uterus and the baby from a prolonged time without the protection of amniotic fluid or open to microorganisms outside the environment.
•	Movement of the umbilical cord into the cervix when the fetus drops, thus reducing the supply of oxygen to the fetus (asphyxiation)-thus bedrest
•	Labor might be initiated which places the infant at risk of respiratory distress syndrome and death if the lungs have not developed adequately to sustain him outside the uterus (as well as others we don't need to mention here.)
I don't know if Sarah Palin's physician instructed her to come back to Alaska with leaking membranes, given her risk factors and concern for the baby's health, but if this is the advice she was given, I hope someone looks into this.  No physician in their right mind would think this is a good idea.  And I know the airlines don't want the responsibility of the Governor of Alaska (or anyone) delivering at 39,000 feet without adequate resources to respond if the baby is in respiratory distress.
If Ms. Palin decided to do this herself, then I wonder at her decision making ability in times of crisis.  And anyone who is about to give birth knows, it is a time of crisis to the mother at least.
Fortunately, it appears that a tragedy was averted, but please do the prudent thing and get medical attention immediately.  At the very least lie down until you can get help and minimize the risk of prolapsed cord.  Trig Palin was fortunate. Others might not be so lucky.