[Vision2020] Credibility: Roger's and Mine

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Sep 2 13:33:21 PDT 2008

Hi Roger,

You have avoided the question of how you would make conception a
moral and legal cut-off point.

It's amazing you deny that law is an issue on abortion.  (You do
really mean that?) Edward Coke, the founder of English Common Law and
studied by Thomas Jefferson in law school, concluded that abortion
was not murder until the fetus had a significant mental life.  Until
that law is changed the legal cut-off would be the early 20 week
period as I have argued, giving the facts of fetal brain development
to back up my position.

I have never said that animals have the same moral standing as human
persons.  My vegetarianism is based on health reasons and a gradual
of loss of taste for meat.  A big slab of meat on a meat was
repulsive to me even before I knew what vegetarianism was. My stand
on abortion is based on English Common Law, not on the moral
equivalence of animals and humans.

I still challenge you to tell me what qualities the early human fetus
has that animal fetuses don't have.  I don't think you can provide
any, so your "conception on" position is merely an assertion and not
an argument.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick