[Vision2020] Founders Valued Separation

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Oct 30 12:11:18 PDT 2008

>From today's (October 30, 2008) Letters section of the Spokesman Review
with thanks to Jack DeBaun of Sandpoint.

Founders valued separation

Steve Massey (Oct. 25) asserts that our country is founded on "Christian
principles." In truth, our common law is derived from the English Saxons,
whose laws were largely influenced by the principles of Roman law. Thomas
Jefferson concluded in a letter to Thomas Cooper (Feb. 10,
1814), "Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of common law."

The Bible is far more supportive of the divine right of kings than it is
of our representative-democratic form of government. In the past, verses
such as 1 Peter 2:13-14 and Romans 13:1-2 were commonly used to compel
obedience to authoritarian rule.

During George Washington's administration, the Senate gave unanimous
approval to the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797. This treaty states, in
part, "the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded
on the Christian religion ... ." The words "Christian" and "Christianity"
appear nowhere in our Constitution, the supreme law of the land.

Regarding the matter of church/state separation, Alexis de Tocqueville,
whom Massey quoted, wrote, "All (the clergy and laity with whom he spoke
during his travels in this country) thought the main reason for the quiet
sway of religion over their country was the complete separation of church
and state."

Jack DeBaun
Sandpoint

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.