[Vision2020] McCain Calls on Stevens to Step Down

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 28 08:39:24 PDT 2008

>From the Anchorage Daily News at:

http://www.adn.com/news/politics/fbi/stevens/story/570062.html

McCain calls on Stevens to step down

By ERIKA BOLSTAD

(10/28/08 07:28:06)
WASHINGTON -- Wasting no time in separating his presidential campaign from
what he described as the "corruption and insider dealing that has become
so pervasive in our nation's capital," Sen. John McCain called on fellow
Republican Sen. Ted Stevens to step down from the U.S. Senate.

Stevens, 84, was convicted Monday by a jury in Washington, D.C., of
accepting thousands of dollars in freebies, including renovations that
doubled his home in size. Stevens has vowed to appeal the seven felony
convictions and press on with his own re-election campaign in the week
leading up to the Nov. 4 election. He is only the fifth sitting senator to
be convicted of such a serious crime in the history of the Senate.

"It is clear that Senator Stevens has broken his trust with the people and
that he should now step down," McCain said in a written statement. "I hope
that my colleagues in the Senate will be spurred by these events to
redouble their efforts to end this kind of corruption once and for all."

Unlike that of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, McCain's
statement offers no niceties about their shared time in the Senate and
expresses no sympathy for Stevens' family. Its intensity is somewhat
surprising given that McCain is a fellow Republican, but not unexpected
given the frosty relations the two men have long had. They have sparred
over opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, McCain's opposition
to earmarks and their differing positions on global warming.

Reid, who personally recruited Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich to run against
Stevens, called the verdict "a personal tragedy for our colleague Ted
Stevens." He also urged Stevens to "respect the outcome of the judicial
process and the dignity of the United States Senate," but didn't suggest
he should step down.

McCain's call for Stevens' resignation also goes well beyond that of his
vice-presidential running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Hours after the
verdict, Palin released a statement calling Stevens' conviction "a sad
day" for Alaska, but she stopped short of demanding he step down.

"The verdict shines a light on the corrupting influence of the big oil
service company that was allowed to control too much of our state," Palin
said. "That control was part of the culture of corruption I was elected to
fight. And that fight must always move forward regardless of party or
seniority or even past service."

In her statement, Palin asks Alaskans to "join me in respecting the
workings of our judicial system. I'm confident Senator Stevens will do
what is right for the people of Alaska."

She would not tell reporters whether she planned to vote for Stevens.

But if Stevens were to resign from his seat or be expelled by his fellow
senators, Palin has a potential -- and complicated -- role in choosing a
replacement. No one in Alaska can say for sure how it would work because
Alaska's law on senatorial succession was changed twice in 2004 -- once by
the Legislature, and once by ballot initiative.

Those laws were changed following then-Gov. Frank Murkowski's 2002
appointment of his daughter, Republican Lisa Murkowski, to his vacated
U.S. Senate seat.

Both of the 2004 laws call for a special election within 60 to 90 days of
the vacancy. But they disagree on whether the governor appoints an interim
senator in the meantime. The Alaska Supreme Court would ultimately have to
decide which law the state follows.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)