[Vision2020] FW: Made in China

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 22 15:10:19 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 13:55:35 Ellen Roskovich wrote:
> I was cleaning out some old files when I ran across this.  Back in July
> 2007 only one person picked up on this and replied to me. . . but today
> maybe it's a more timely topic.  So, I'm putting it out there again. . . 15
> months later.  Any thoughts?

The first thought that comes to mind is that there are several search engines
available to Internet users that can provide at least partial answers to this
question with very little keyboard effort. For example, Pendleton Mills
clothing from Oregon, Carhartt work clothes from Michigan, Red Wing boots
from Minnesota, Kitchenaid appliances from Michigan, etc., etc. Much more.

The second thought that comes to mind is that, from the point of view of the
American economy, even better than American goods made and used by Americans
are goods made in America and exported to other countries in exchange for
cash sent to America. An example that comes to mind is the Boeing Aircraft
Company, which sells billions of dollars worth of aircraft annually. Many
other USA-based companies export goods, services, and commodities.

Another phenomenon worth noting is that some American companies are simply
moving to other countries and setting up shop there. McDonald's and Starbucks
have long had aggressive foreign growth plans, and other well-known companies
are well-internationalized. Microsoft in Ireland to manufacture, in England
to research, and in India to grow the next generation of programmers. The
world is flat, crowded, hot, and inhospitable to those unwilling to change.

Yet another more recent trend is American companies linking themselves
electronically to foreign companies to provide services to themselves. The
products made and services delivered by American companies may not be
entirely produced in the USA because it is less expensive, and sometimes more
timely, to have the service performed elsewhere. For example, international
Internet connectivity and workflow software allow X-rays taken in a Bangor,
Maine, hospital to be analyzed in real-time in Bangalore, India, while the
Maine operating procedure is in progress.

Unfortunately, Americans seem lately to be exporting war, financial system
crises, and inflation that may affect more foreign consumers than some of our
less controversial exports. I am concerned that similar hospitality may be
returned to the USA as others are able to do so if Americans do not find it
in themselves to make themselves more mutually valuable to other countries
with more mutually intelligent international policies.

Ken