[Vision2020] Apology: Off List Response Made Public Re: Lomborg & Stern Report On Climate Change

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:09:50 PDT 2008

The letter at the bottom is forwarded to Vision2020 by request, referring to
this blog's posting of my private comment to a public forum without
permission:

http://halfpastnoon.com/2008/08/bjorn-lomborg-and-global-warming/
----------------
Note what a Google search for "Ted Moffett" reveals;
right-mind.usreferences to my Vision2020 posts, direct links to some
of my Vision2020
posts, and halfpastnoon.com's posting of my name and comment, though now the
blog has removed my name and comment:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ted+Moffett&aq=f&oq=
-----------------
Thanks for your apology.

If you had asked for permission to post my comment, I would have offered a
far more detailed and extensive response, *if *I had decided to participate
in halfpastnoon.com.

I trust you read my comments about Lomborg and the Stern Report on
Vision2020 that offered a more fully fleshed out response, with the numerous
references to published work on the science and economics of climate
change.  Given the list of Nobel Prize winning economists with positive
appraisals of the Stern Report, perhaps Lomborg is not the last word on this
issue.  Also, the report on climate change in the Northeast US from the
Unions of Concerned Scientists is another example of extensive research from
numerous scientists and economists indicating the need to reduce emissions
sooner rather than later, both for economic and other reasons:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-October/057961.html
-----------------

Hi Ted,

One of our blog contributors told me this morning that we were getting a lot
of hits from V2020, and when I went to check it out, I saw your post.

I think I owe you an apology and some explanation. First, it was unfair of
me to ask you to restrict my identity and then turn around and use yours on
the Internet, in what is arguably a more public arena since it's exposed to
search engine activity. In fact, it was downright selfish of me to be
concerned about my own privacy and then treat yours so flippantly.

So, please forgive me.

Secondly, it was never my intent to be duplicitous or unfair like this. The
blog you found is a small blog, just a tight-knit group of friends using it
like a glorified Twitter. I like to call it our "tree house for big kids."
We rarely have more than 50 hits a day, mostly from close friends and
relatives. The post in question had only received one hit prior to today
(likely one of the contributors viewing the post while not logged in), and
it is now around 19 total. Because of the paucity of our traffic, I tend not
to think of it as a public forum, and the posting was more of a lapse of
judgment rather than anything malicious.

I would be happy to remove your name from the post, and I would appreciate
it if you would permit me to post some sort of apology to my blog so people
visiting know that I feel like a knucklehead now. I wouldn't want the
removal of your name to look duplicitous; rather, I would like to protect
your identity in kind as I should have done in the first place.

Also, if you wouldn't mind forwarding this email on to the Viz, I'd also
appreciate it. We may disagree on many things - Global Warming just one
among many - I'm sure we agree on the importance of common courtesy, and on
that point I failed. I'd still like to remain anonymous, if you don't mind.
My intent all along was to engage somebody who had actually studied global
warming, and get some good feedback. You gave that to me, and I regret that
my appreciation is now overshadowed by bad manners.

Thanks, and sorry.