[Vision2020] Idaho Statesman Endorses Obama

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 19 19:41:42 PDT 2008

Our View: America needs Obama's steady hand
Endorsement, U.S. President
- Idaho Statesman
Edition Date: 10/19/08

Barack Obama soared to national prominence through the force of his
remarkable oratory skills - the charisma and political rock-star appeal that
attracted 14,169 people to Taco Bell Arena on a Saturday morning in
February.

Over the ensuing months, the Illinois Democrat has shown American voters
something more subtle, but something more important. He has demonstrated the
superior intellect and the calm command our nation needs now.

The Statesman editorial board endorses Obama in the 2008 presidential
election.

This is not an obvious choice for a newspaper in a historically Republican
state. Nor was it a unanimous choice. But we have to think about what's best
for our nation, which is facing challenging and confusing times that call
for even-tempered, clear-minded leadership. When the partisanship of this
election finally subsidies, Obama is the man who can reach reasoned
conclusions, reach across the political divides, and reach out to the common
American.

In this partisan race, Obama has understandably - and, in many instances,
rightly - laid much blame with the outgoing Bush administration. The
economic collapse, Obama is fond of saying, renders "the final verdict" on
eight years of failed policies. The costly war in Iraq, which Obama opposed
from the beginning, now makes it more complicated for America to defend its
interests in Iran and Afghanistan.

Obama's campaign has exploited hindsight to full advantage. Yet he has also
emerged as the candidate who will move the country ahead.

Obama better understands the real economic fears gripping the middle class -
and his tax and health care policies reflect that.

Obama better understands the kind of regulatory reform required to prevent a
repeat of the financial market meltdown.

Obama is better equipped to build a diversified, versatile energy
infrastructure, arriving at a strategy something more nuanced than a "drill,
baby, drill" mantra.

Obama is better prepared to restore America's allies abroad, building the
coalitions required in a turbulent world.

Obama has advanced an ambitious domestic agenda - and probably an
unaffordable one. In fairness, neither he nor Republican nominee John McCain
has been forthright about the tradeoffs required in the face of massive debt
and deficit. We believe Obama can and will respond to fiscal reality, and
apply reason and sound governing principles to the process of making
tradeoffs.

After eight largely unproductive years, when a White House seemed unable to
accomplish much with either a Republican- or a Democrat-controlled Congress,
we believe either Obama or McCain will have a chance to get more done.

Campaigns may drag on too long for many of us, but the odyssey tests
decision-making and temperament. Here, we believe Obama has passed.

When picking a running mate, Obama made a solid choice, Sen. Joe Biden of
Delaware. Biden gives an Obama administration a seasoned hand on foreign
policy and a 36-year Capitol Hill veteran. For all the seductive campaign
rhetoric about the value of an "outsider," the reality is that Obama is
helped by having a running mate who can deliver results.

McCain countered with Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who energized the GOP's
conservative base and wowed many Americans with her speech at the Republican
convention. Since then, though, the Sandpoint native and University of Idaho
graduate has not convincingly shown she is ready for the White House.

McCain made a splashy but impulsive pick designed to court voters. Obama
made a smart pick designed to build an effective governing team.

Obama and Biden have largely stayed on topic and unflappable, in the face of
last-minute campaigning that has turned ugly. At their worst, Republicans
have resorted to fear-mongering. In what, by comparison, pass for measured
moments, McCain and Palin simply insinuate that the Democratic ticket is out
of touch and elitist.

It's not only a bogus claim - given Obama's and Biden's backgrounds - but
it's a silly form of reverse snobbery. Our nation has to stop equating
intellect with elitism and viewing intelligence with scorn and skepticism.
Considering the problems at hand, there is no better time than now to change
our thinking.

McCain certainly furnishes a strong resume, and he certainly has a longer
record than Obama, elected to the Senate in 2004. In theory, McCain's
experience should translate into the serious, studied leadership the
presidency demands.

In this campaign, however, it has not.

We applaud McCain's courage and service to our country. We do not dismiss
the Arizona senator's 26-year tenure in Congress.

But we cannot dismiss what we have seen and heard during the long job
interview that is a presidential campaign. Obama has earned our trust and
our support.