[Vision2020] The Odd Lies Of Sarah Palin I: Firing Monegan

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 19 11:05:08 PDT 2008

The Atlantic
The Daily Dish
Andrew Sullivan
18 Oct 2008 08:07 am

The Odd Lies Of Sarah Palin I: Firing Monegan

This weekend, I'll be re-posting all the factual untruths that Sarah Palin
insists are still actually truths. I've updated each item to keep up with
the new information that has come out since the original posting.

I'm doing this because Sarah Palin's contribution is to introduce a new
level of detachment from reality to our politics. After Bush-Cheney, this
would be hard for anyone. But youbetcha she can.

This has been the pattern from the start of her career: a denial of reality
combined with an almost unhinged and unlimited ambition. Since the press is
barred from questioning her thoroughly, since we will never know how she
responds to the long list of untruths she has told - from the smallest
biographical detail to the biggest policy - all I can do is remind my
readers of the record one more time before November. There are nineteen
assertions of factual untruths that I've been able to document.

We'll start at the beginning, and Troopergate.

The key issue is whether she used her state office to pressure the public
safety commissioner to fire her ex-brother-in-law. Here's what she stated on
the record in mid-July if this year:

Palin stated on July 17 that Monegan was not pressured to fire Wooten, nor
dismissed for not doing so:[114][117] "To allege that I, or any member of my
family . . . directed disciplinary action be taken against any employee of
the Department of Public Safety, is, quite simply, outrageous."

Here's Wikipedia's account of the findings of the Branchflower Report, with
links to the original sources:

On October 10, 2008, the Alaska Legislative Council unanimously voted to
release, without officially endorsing,[135] the Branchflower Report in which
Stephen Branchflower found that firing Monegan "was a proper and lawful
exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority,"[136] and that Palin
abused her power as governor by violating the state's Executive Branch
Ethics Act[137] when her office pressured Monegan to fire Wooten. The report
stated that "Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue
where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to
advance a personal agenda, to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten
fired."[138] The report also said that Palin "permitted Todd Palin to use
the Governor's office [...] to continue to contact subordinate state
employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten
fired."[138][139]

The eventual report found that she was within her legal rights to fire
Monegan, but that her unethical persecution of her ex brother-in-law was a
contributing factor to the firing. The report found her guilty of abuse of
power and violation of Alaska's Ethics Act.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/the-odd-lies--7
.html