[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Kevin Coe

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 17 16:33:32 PDT 2008

Paul Rumelhart stated:

"What it boils down to is: if he is seriously mentally ill, they should
be able to put him away for his own good as well as others.  If they
can't show that, then he has to go free."

That was the primary purpose of this trial; to determine if Kevin Coe is
considered a major threat to the safety of the community and if he should
be furthermore incarcerated.

>From the Seattle Times at:

http://tinyurl.com/6xshr7

"A civil court jury in Spokane decided Thursday that convicted rapist
Kevin Coe should be locked up indefinitely at the state's Special
Commitment Center for sex predators on McNeil Island."

The purpose of the Special Commitment Center is outlined at the center's
website at:

http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/hrsa/scc/default.htm

"The Special Commitment Center Program, operated by the Department of
Social and Health Services (DSHS), provides a specialized mental health
treatment program for civilly committed sex offenders who have completed
their prison sentences."

I fully support the verdict of the jury in this case and feel anything
less would have amounted to an injustice to the free community.

> As much as I hate to say it, because I hate being tarred with the
> "defending rapists" brush, Kai's right on this one, at least as far as
> his stance on thought crimes.  He did his time.  We can't put people in
> jail just because we think they might commit crimes.  We can't put them
> in jail even if they say they will commit a crime next chance they get.
> The government can stay out of my head, thank you very much.
>
> What it boils down to is: if he is seriously mentally ill, they should
> be able to put him away for his own good as well as others.  If they
> can't show that, then he has to go free. We either go with the system we
> have or toss it all out the window.  We can't just make an exception
> because we really, really, don't like this guy.
>
> I don't know if Kai was actually suggesting that we put rapists to
> death, but if so I'm against it.  Philosophical issues aside, it's too
> easy to convict the wrong guy.

Paul