[Vision2020] Candidates Issues - Education

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 09:25:58 PDT 2008

I thought I'd pick one this time where I didn't have a clue where the
candidates stood on the issue.

Here are the links to the candidates websites:

Barack Obama:  http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/
John McCain:
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ce50b5-daa8-4795-b92d-92bd0d985bca.htm

Some highlights:

There are a lot of similarities at the higher level.  There are some
differences; Obama wants to focus on math and science education, McCain
wants to allow parents to choose which public school to send their
children.  Obama wants to create a tax credit for to cover the first
$4000 for "most Americans", and 2/3 the cost of most tuition for most
public colleges or universities for the cost of 100 hours of community
service.  John McCain wants to eliminate earmarks on federal funding for
research because it is "destroying [it's] integrity".

There is a lot of data there, and I've only read through it quickly.
Let me know what you think.

Paul