[Vision2020] A Plea to Visionaires

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 17 06:47:31 PDT 2008

Greetings Visionaires -

Let me preface my request with a short Vision 2020 history lesson.

Over the years that I have subscribed to the Vision 2020 listserve, there
have been several attempts to shut it down.

First there was an attempt to establish a Vision 2020 “monitor” whose
apparent duties would have been to determine acceptable topics to discuss
and to remove any subscribers failing to stay in lockstep with guidelines
established by The Monitor.

Then there was the infamous letter/email, sent to First Step Internet (the
techies that maintain the Vision 2020 listserve), demanding that the
Vision 2020 listserve be terminated as the anonymous authors of the
letter/email felt beleaguered and harassed by its continuance.

There have been other attempts to shut down this listserve.  However, like
those two attempts outlined above, they failed.

And now the listserve is forced to endure “No Weatherman” and its attempt
to eliminate the Vision 2020 listserve.

It is my strong impression that No Weatherman’s purpose is to post racist,
ignorant, marginally-threatening, rude, and extremely profane comments to
the listserve in attempt to degenerate the quality of the listserve’s
purpose, as more and more subscribers disappear into Moscow’s anonymity,
their thoughts not to be shared again.

I strongly believe in the Vision.  Its purpose is to provide a venue for
sharing thoughts of “community” and how that community may be improved,
not only for us, but four our children.

If the Vision were to shut down, a very, most vital source of community
interaction disappears with it.

My suggestion is to merely ignore “No Weatherman”, regardless of its
rantings.  Eventually it will catch on and disappear along with its
predecessor, The Monitor.

Let’s keep this virtual town hall meeting alive.

In the interim . . .

Seey at Farmers’ Market, Moscow.