[Vision2020] Bees

Ellen Roskovich gussie443 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:37:33 PDT 2008

Bees were discussed during the summer.  Here's an article that may interest some.  Having a "bee friendly" garden would also mean having some fresh herbs for cooking.

Web Forum Discussion of the Week: Honey Bee Deaths Reaching Crisis Point: How to Have a Bee-Friendly Yard
The following was posted by "Honey Gal" at OCA's web forum: "I'm a beekeeper and teach classes in bee stewardship. One thing folks can do to help, even if you aren't a beekeeper, is to make your yard bee friendly. Plant a flowering herb garden. Bees use herbs medicinally and your plants can help make a difference. I suggest rosemary, sage, THYME (lots of it), marjoram, chives, basil, all the mints and other herbs with flowers. Bees will find them. To do more, plant native flowering bushes, too. In our area (WA) spirea and goldenrod are bee magnets. Try to have flowers in bloom through into fall. Put out a big shallow dish of water with sticks or moss in it (so they don't fall in) and keep it moist. If you can get seaweed, bees are particularly fond of the minerals so I keep a little pile of seaweed in the "bee pond." All these small actions add up and make it a little easier on your local bees."
Read more and join the discussion at OCA's web forum

Ellen A. Roskovich