[Vision2020] Candidate issues - Foreign Policy

No Weatherman no.weatherman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:46:39 PDT 2008

ACS:

First things first.

Let's go easy on the "lying" accusations. You're real good at creating
doubt with specious arguments to offer a plausible defense for a
position so I'm a bit surprised you would not give me a little more
credit.

I wrote that I would have voted for Hillary and to this extent I
absolutely hold the PUMA's agenda point for point.

Visit any PUMA site and you've never seen so many Democrats acting
like Republicans in your life. It's been Halloween for them since
June. The universe is in upheaval. Worlds are colliding. Nine million
PUMA's plan to vote for McCain and every one of them is hoping that
Rezko gives up his peep while they simultaneously pray for RICO
charges against Obama and success for Philip Berg.

However, I am not a true PUMA because I am like the former Democratic
Party's candidate for Vice President, Joe Lieberman — I am an
Independent. Unlike Lieberman, though, I don't endorse McCain.

If it helps, I voted for John Anderson and I voted for Ross Perot,
giant sucking sound et al. And as an Independent I hold the PUMA
agenda.

To the bombing.

Your synopsis of the two articles doesn't look much like the articles
and this is not the first time you've done this. I know you're a
bright person so I think this is deliberate.

For example, the WaPo article opens, "A military strike against Iran's
nuclear facilities would PROBABLY only delay the country's progress
toward nuclear-weapons capability, according to a study that concludes
that such an attack could backfire by strengthening Tehran's resolve
to acquire the bomb." (Emphasis added)

The article continues from there to summarize the study.

I know this sounds simplistic, but I have seen the Israelis devise
exceptional outside-the-lines brass-balls military strikes to take out
their targets. I will not list the hits that we know of but anyone
familiar with Israel's resolve to survive (which does not include
deliberately ignorant liberals; btw, these types of comments are
really not necessary) knows that Israel knows how to finish the job.

The comparisons to Libya and N Korea are false analogies. Both states
were reduced to nothing through diplomatic isolation. North Korea was
forced to starve its citizens and the Libyans, as noted by the
article, "had grown tired of being excluded from the world community."

IOW, isolation works.

It works, that is, when the quarantined party does not posses nuclear
weapons. Nukes change everything.

It's one thing to have a rabid, vicious, underfed, and UNCHAINED dog
in the neighbor's yard. It's another thing when that dog can jump the
fence.

I am surprised to see you write, "Iran's only purpose in obtaining a
nuclear weapon is to deter us."

I do not know HOW you can possibly know this and, more importantly, I
do not know HOW you can possibly believe it unless you watch Larry
King. But this gives me a little more insight into why you believe
terrorists are vandals.

When world leaders threaten their neighbor with extermination as they
build nukes, it's a bit naïve to argue they want the nukes to deter
the US. It's even more naïve to predicate your foreign policy on this
supposition.

Yesterday Dr. Gier posted an essay that opened with a quote from Sir
Winston Churchill, "To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war."

Ironically, in the early to mid-1930s, as Hitler built his arsenal
that he planned to deploy against Europe, Churchill argued, contra
Chamberlain, that England could not negotiate with Hitler and that
they had to prepare for war. Churchill was alone in his position and
he was alone in Parliament — a virtual pariah.

This changed, however, after the Wehrmacht invaded Poland

Jaw jawing is always better than war warring unless the jaw on the
other side has a nuke in his back pocket.

Then you better prepare for the unthinkable because it is inevitable.