[Vision2020] Close that Loophole!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 13 11:34:48 PDT 2008

Troopergate is far from over.

>From the Anchorage Daily News at:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/552784.html

Judge orders Palin administration to preserve e-mails
PRIVATE ACCOUNTS: Any dealing with state business will have to be
retrieved.

By LISA DEMER
ldemer at adn.com

(10/11/08 02:13:56)
An Anchorage judge on Friday ordered Gov. Sarah Palin and others in her
office to retrieve and preserve any e-mails from private accounts that
concern state business.

The ruling came in a lawsuit against Palin -- the GOP vice presidential
nominee -- filed by Andree McLeod, an Anchorage activist and former state
worker.

Anchorage Superior Court Judge Craig Stowers called the case "important."

The state is bustling to comply but first has to figure out what e-mails
still exist, said Mike Mitchell, assistant attorney general.

"We entered into the hearing ... willing to work to preserve those e-mails
that do relate to state business that may have been sent to or from
private accounts, to the extent they can be preserved at this point,"
Mitchell said.

The e-mails need to be retrieved from the private e-mail businesses,
brought into the state system, and released "as appropriate under the
public records act," Mitchell said.

The case is one of the first in the nation addressing how 20th-century
public records laws apply to 21st-century technology like BlackBerrys, he
said.

McLeod said state workers generally use the state system because it is
more secure, and e-mails are then available for archiving and for public
records requests.

"For the governor not to have done so is beyond my understanding," McLeod
said. "The only thing I can figure out is yeah, she wanted to keep things
secret."

Palin had at least two Yahoo e-mail accounts and one other private e-mail
account. The McCain-Palin campaign said her Yahoo accounts were canceled
in September after a hacker broke into one of them, posting screen shots
of her inbox and a couple of messages onto a publicly available Web site.
A Tennessee college student has been charged with accessing her account
without authorization.

Web-based services like Yahoo are inherently more vulnerable to hacking
than secure business or government services, experts have said.

In addition, an aide, Frank Bailey, helped set up another private e-mail
system this spring for Palin and her closest insiders, according to a
Washington Post story. In the story, Bailey denied doing so.

Mitchell told the judge on Friday that Palin no longer uses any private
accounts for state business. But there's been no directive for the rest of
her staff to do the same, said Sharon Leighow, a spokeswoman for the
governor.

It's not clear how widespread the practice of using private accounts for
public work has been in the Palin administration. Close to 90 people have
worked in the governor's office since Palin took office in December 2006,
counting those in the Office of Management and Budget and the lieutenant
governor's office. Few have used private e-mail, Leighow said.

McLeod earlier this year requested copies of e-mails from two Palin aides
and discovered that the governor routinely used a private e-mail account
for public business. She also found that the aides, Bailey and Ivy Frye,
at times used private e-mail accounts for state work as well.

On Oct. 1, McLeod sued Palin and the governor's office to force
preservation of the e-mails. She also filed a request for all of Palin's e-
mails concerning state business since taking office, no matter what e-mail
account was used, as well as e-mails from Palin's husband, Todd.

Under the judge's order, the governor's office must preserve all e-mails
to or from private accounts of her staff between Dec. 4, 2006, and
whenever the litigation concludes "whose content relates in any way to the
conduct of official business of the state of Alaska."

In addition, Palin and her staff were ordered "to immediately undertake
efforts" to retrieve e-mails and attachments that "Yahoo and other
Internet companies have intentionally or automatically deleted."

Mitchell said he'll work with the governor's office and technical support
staff to figure out how to pursue those e-mails.

According to Yahoo, once a user deletes an e-mail, "the actual message
content may take a couple of days to a couple of months to be completely
eliminated from our storage facilities."

Palin earlier turned over e-mails from her Yahoo accounts to the state
Department of Law, according to Meghan Stapleton, a spokeswoman for the
McCain-Palin campaign. But it wasn't clear Friday afternoon how many were
part of that.

Meanwhile, everyone in the governor's office was e-mailed a copy of the
judge's order on Friday and asked to comply with it, according to the
governor's administrative director.

McLeod said she was pleased with the ruling. "I think finally someone
understood the nature of what is going on here."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

> Let's hope this is carefully monitored in light of the evidence that
Palin
> used personal email accounts for state business specifically to avoid
> official public records requests.
>
> http://www.adn.com/opinion/view/story/554290.html
>
> Close that loophole
> A victory for public access to official state records
>
> Published: October 12th, 2008 09:22 PM
> Last Modified: October 12th, 2008 11:32 PM
>
> State Superior Court Judge Craig Stowers confirmed the obvious Friday. He
> ruled that e-mails sent or received through Gov. Sarah Palin's personal
> e-mail accounts are public records if they concern official state
business.

> That's a victory for Andree McLeod, a Republican activist and former
state
> employee who pressed the freedom of information case. Gov. Palin contends
> McLeod is disgruntled because she didn't get a job in the Palin
> administration.
>
> Her potential self-interest aside, Ms. McLeod won a victory for all
Alaskans
> with her case. The state's public records law would be almost
meaningless if
> officials could circumvent it by using their personal e-mail accounts.
>
> Gov. Palin made heavy use of personal e-mail for state business, until a
> hacker broke into one of them. Because those personal e-mails fall
outside
> the state's official archiving and retrieval system, some of them may be
> lost forever.
>
> That would be unacceptable. State e-mail business has to be conducted in
> way that preserves all official state e-mails and makes them available
for
> public disclosure as the law provides.
>
> Judge Stowers declined to ban the use of personal e-mail accounts for
> official state business. That call may be acceptable -- as long as the
state
> can ensure the e-mails are properly saved and made accessible.
>
> Judge Stowers should keep a close eye on what e-mails the state is able
> retrieve for Ms. McLeod's case. If there are any gaps, the judge should
> require the state to arrange a system that ensures official state
business
> e-mails are fully preserved.
>
> BOTTOM LINE: State officials can't avoid the public records law by doing
> state business on personal e-mail accounts.

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"Jesus was a community organizer and Poncius Pilate was a governor."

- Marilyn Trail, sister of Representative Tom trail (September 8, 2008)

----

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)