[Vision2020] Some Respect for McCain

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 18:14:09 PDT 2008

I do have some respect for McCain, especially after exchanges like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/10/mccain-defends-his-rabid_n_133710.html

John McCain was booed by his own supporters during a rally on Friday
after he described Barack Obama as a "decent person and a person that
you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."

McCain was responding to a town hall attendee who claimed he was
concerned about raising a child under a president who "cohorts with
domestic terrorists such as [Bill] Ayers." Despite the fact that
McCain and his campaign have repeatedly used Ayers to hammer Obama in
recent days, the Arizona Senator tried to calm the man.

"[Senator Obama] is a decent person and a person that you do not have
to be scared about as President of the United States," he said, before
adding: "If I didn't think I would be one heck of a better president I
wouldn't be running."

The crowd groaned with disapproval.

Later, McCain was again pressed about Obama's "other-ness" and again
he refused to play ball. "I don't trust Obama," a woman said. "I have
read about him. He's an Arab."

"No, ma'am," McCain said several times, shaking his head in
disagreement. "He's a decent, family man, [a] citizen that I just
happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's
what this campaign is all about."

At another point, McCain declared, "If you want a fight, we will
fight. But we will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his
accomplishments." Supporters booed then also. "I don't mean that has
to reduce your ferocity," McCain responded. "I just mean to say you
have to be respectful."