[Vision2020] An Obama Dilemma & Anonymous Posting...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:35:37 PDT 2008

Recall the anonymous participant "greytreecrab," I think it was?  This was
likely a play on the name of a
a regular Vision2020 participant, who I don't need to name for anyone who
follows Vision2020.

I always (nearly) sign my full name to my posts.  While some on this list
know that I am not an anonymous participant just from my e-mail address or
first name, there may be many who would not know this, especially those new
to this area or new to Vision2020.

On this point, there are Vision2020 participants who usually sign their
posts with only their first name.  I don't personally know some of these
participants.  The only reason I assume they not hiding their identity is
that others on the list appear to personally know them.

Still, I think everyone should sign their posts with their full name.  This
helps to promote openness and honesty on the list, especially for those new
to Vision2020.  Those who sign their posts with only their first name cast
an aura on the list of it being a insiders club for a local gossip session,
I think, which in fact it sometimes actually is... This perhaps does not
encourage new participants, which Vision2020 needs.

Some people may have good reasons for not signing their full name, or using
a pseudonym, personal safety or work restrictions, for example.

Given that I have been deceived in the past by anonymous participants, if I
suspect a participant is hiding their identity, I now mostly ignore these
posts, though sometimes I will extend trust to a new participant, without
checking on their identity as presented, if the post content does not seem
"suspicious."

To change the subject away from the subject heading of this post (which I
usually try to avoid), and address a comment in the post below, about local
churches and their political activity:

Some local churches function as a political machine in a manner (lock step,
authoritarian, with a political agenda that can impact local government)
that is quite different than some other local churches.  This fact is why
there is a special focus among some in the local community towards certain
churches regarding their efforts to impact the nature of the community.  But
as the comments below state, this is "so dang obvious," so excuse me for the
redundancy that nonetheless appears to need restating over and over...

Ted Moffett