[Vision2020] Approval Rating for Palin Tumbles Among Alaskans

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Oct 1 08:39:11 PDT 2008

>From today's (October 1, 2008) Anchorage Daily News at:

http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/542179.html

Approval rating for Palin tumbles among Alaskans
68 PERCENT: Latest poll shows percentage drop from the 80s.

Ask a governor if she'd be happy with a 68 percent approval rating and
she'd probably laugh at the question. It usually doesn't get much better
than that.

For Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, though, that represents a hefty drop.

Since John McCain tapped the first-term governor to be his vice-
presidential running mate, Palin's sky-high home-state approval ratings
have come down to Earth.

Above 80 percent approval for parts of her term -- she was at 82 percent
in a key local poll twice this year -- Palin's popularity has swooned as
new information about the local abuse-of-power investigation known as
Troopergate has trickled out, and as national and local media pick over
her track record as a governor and small-town mayor.

Palin still has overwhelming support among Alaska Republicans. But many
Democrats and independents, who gave her positive marks just a month ago,
have changed their views.

"My problem is not with Sarah Palin the governor," said Ron Zandman-Zeman,
60, a recently retired school teacher from Anchorage. "She was doing the
job she was elected to do. I don't think she can do the job she wants to
be elected to do. And that's why I'm here."

"Here" was a rally in a downtown Anchorage park last weekend, where
several hundred demonstrators gathered under a brilliant blue sky to
protest Palin and her attorney general, mostly for their handling of the
Troopergate controversy.

Until this summer, there were plenty of Alaskans who'd supported or been
neutral toward their governor. Palin built a reservoir of goodwill during
a handful of key issues, including prodding the state's oil industry to
cough up more of its profits, which fund the vast majority of state
operations.

After McCain shocked the political world by picking Palin, the rest of the
country experienced a flash of infatuation with the charming, gutsy
governor. But some Alaskans turned against what they saw as her newly
aggressive, mean-spirited demeanor.

At the studio of KENI in Anchorage, Andrew Halcro has become a focal point
for anti-Palin advocates. Halcro is a former state legislator who was
beaten by Palin in the 2006 gubernatorial election. (Running as an
independent, Halcro finished third behind Palin and former Gov. Tony
Knowles, a Democrat).

Palin had done a good job of governing from the center, he said. But her
recent mocking of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, for
example, is a surprise to many Alaskans.

"I see a real change in the callers," he said. "People are seeing Gov.
Palin in a different light."

While many demonstrators objected to Palin on partisan or ideological
grounds, two issues that clearly rankled Alaskans had nothing to do with
party loyalty: openness and independence.

Ivan Moore, a local pollster, recently found that Palin's support had
slipped to 68 percent. The poll was conducted from Sept. 20 to 22 among
500 likely Alaska voters and has a margin of error of 4.4 percent.

Inside those numbers was a dramatic drop in support from Democrats and
independents, although support from Republicans remained strong at 93
percent. Among Democrats, her approval rating dropped from 60 percent to
36 percent, a 24-point drop. Among independents, it fell from 82 percent
to 64 percent, an 18-point drop.

Moore said those numbers were likely driven by the harsher tone Palin has
adopted on the national campaign trail, as well as the fallout from
Troopergate, which involves the firing of the state's public safety
commissioner.

In addition, fiercely independent Alaskans resent moves by the McCain
campaign to control what they see as purely state matters.

Sondra Tompkins, a reliably Republican voter, found herself speaking out
at the rally -- upset, she said, because of Palin's handling of the
trooper issue and the example it sets for children in the state.

"They're listening, they're watching, and they're asking questions,"
Tompkins called out to the crowd. "Do we tell them it's OK not to tell the
truth? Do we tell them it's OK to bend the truth? Do we tell them it's OK
to distort the truth if you have a gaggle of lawyers to defend you?

"It's not OK, and I think Alaskans have had enough."

Brad Coker, managing director of Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc., said
an approval rating in the 60s for a governor is good. His recent polling
in six western states found two governors with approval ratings in the low-
80s, two in the 60s and one in the 50s.

The sky-high ratings Palin once had are somewhat unusual, he said -- but
not unheard of.

"Governors in smaller states tend to have much higher performance ratings
because their constituencies are smaller," he said. "They have personal
contact with the voters and so there is more familiarity between them and
the constituents. But 68 percent is pretty good."

Oops.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)