[Vision2020] Drifting Toward Genocide In The Congo: Will Obama Respond?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 13:48:18 PST 2008

It is true that the slogan "if it bleeds it leads" for media coverage of
news is often applied, given the ratings boost and thus advertising revenue
that coverage of disasters brings to profit driven "journalism."  It is also
true that social, economic and political disruptions and disasters are used
to control populations, of course.

Consider Naomi Klein's stunning (meant all too literally!) book, "The Shock
Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism," reviewed at URL below by former
London School of Economics Professor of European thought, John Grey:

http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine/reviews/end-world-we-know-it
---------------
(The paragraph below is my brief comment on Klein's book, not from Grey's
review):

Klein outlines this approach to globalization in spreading the Milton
Friedman "Chicago School" of free market capitalism, with references to
communications between Friedman and Chilean dictator and human rights
abusing monster Pinochet, documentation of the MK-Ultra CIA program of mind
control experimentation, using electroshock and chemical "brainwashing"
techniques on human subjects, and how this program relates to treatment of
"detainees" in the so called "War On Terror," to mention of few of the
examples she documents.

The 9/11 attacks were exploited by the neo-cons in the Bush administration
to enact their plan of remaking the Middle East via invading Iraq, a
disturbing example of fear and propaganda controlling the masses in the
world's so called leading democracy during a time of disaster and crisis.

But it is also true that horrific destructive events that in magnitude
should inspire global outrage and response, sometimes are given scant
coverage.  Rather than being overemphasized for whatever purpose, there
appears to be reason(s) sometimes mass atrocity and destruction are back
page news.  It seems there is deliberate lack of coverage of some crises,
even if they might boost ratings and sell advertising.   The horror in the
Congo in Africa is one example.  While the recent terrorist attacks in
Mumbai in India are given 24/7 coverage, I suspect many US citizens are not
aware of the magnitude of the human rights abuses in the Congo.

The editorial below suggests that Obama will be tested regarding his
commitment to responding to genocide and/or mass atrocities, in his
response to the Congo:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/20/drifting-toward-genocide-in-the-congo/

The peacekeeping operation recently asked U.N. headquarters for 3,000 more
troops. As early as today, the Security Council could act on a resolution
drafted by France calling for 2,785 more troops and 300 more police to help
battle "the deteriorating humanitarian situation and in particular the
targeted attacks against civilian population, sexual violence, recruitment
of child soldiers and summary executions."

As a member of the U.S. mission to the United Nations told us, though, no
country has yet volunteered the extra soldiers - shades of the cries that
went unanswered in Rwanda. President-elect Barack Obama has said the U.S.
has a responsibility to prevent genocide. He may find this pledge tested
sooner than he expected.

More information on the violence in the Congo:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/nov/03/congo-rwanda-genocide-violence

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett