[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 29, Issue 265

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Nov 28 16:23:51 PST 2008

Interesting point, Paul, with "customer" as a better description than "consumer" for people who buy things.  "Consumer" conjures images of PacMan-like non-stop, mindless buzzing and devouring . . . although that seems to describe the  Wal Mart tragedy fairly well.

So while we're on the subject . . . how do you all, especially those of you with children, feel about "Santa lists" and such?  My kids are 15 and almost 20; it's been a long time, obviously, since we dealt with Santa Claus.  Even then, we explained that he was a friend of Jesus' who visited once a year to remind us of Jesus' birth and helped us distribute things to people in need.  (Yeah, a rollicking fun mom I was . . . ).

But we never allowed them to make up lists of things they wanted, either from Santa or from Aunt Stephanie or anyone else.  I really hate the image of children writing out what only looks like a "demand list."  It presumes, one, that they're entitled to receive things and, two, that they're entitled to dictate to the donors what, exactly, it is that they should choose for them to receive.  Of course we kept in mind things like the cool factor of the Pirate Lego set vs. the Space Explorer Lego set, and we tried to steer family members away from things we found objectionable, like guns, but I never even liked -- and still don't today -- the idea of ticking off a list of things so-and-so wants, either for my kids to receive or for me to give to other relatives.  I like to receive small, thoughtful, meaningful things that show me that whoever is gifting me knows me, my tastes, my interests, etc., and wants to reflect them.   Jeff's gift last year of a leather briefcase and a book on the history of travel trailers meant so much to me.  Ditto for the beautiful leather notebook he gave me two years before, or our first Christmas together's tiny vial of my favorite perfume.  They'd have meant a lot less if I'd simply handed him my order for the year.  Likewise, a history of reggae for my eldest is a lot more fun to give when he's unaware that the book even exists.

This, of course, puts me on the list of Uncool Aunts sometimes.  I don't like giving or getting gift cards, even though I understand they're a concession to holiday stress and overwhelming choice.  But I'd rather buy my niece something that sparks warm thoughts of her or would help her in her career than go out, list in hand, and try to satisfy even the most humbly-written tally of preferred gifts.  My side of the family -- my mother, father and step-mother, brother and his wife and daughter, are all donating to favorite charities for Christmas this year, and while the gift-giving of Christmas continues apace on my husband's side of the family, I would love to see a return to the exchange of simple, well-thought-out tokens of affection, rather than the inevitable disappointment that Aunt Keely didn't get the director's cut of the movie instead of the commercial cut, or bought a book instead of the peach-mango scented organic body lotion set.

So am I the only mom-sister-aunt-daughter-daughter-in-law who feels this way?

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/