[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Worker Dies After Shoppers Knock Him Down

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 28 12:30:29 PST 2008

I agree, Keely.

Until retail outlets, whether it be Wal-Mart or Target or Staples
or . . . , assume some responsibility and begin to more closely monitor
such behavior, it will only get worse.

> This is just really awful -- you have to wonder if any of the shoppers in
t> his stampeding herd stopped to help him up or anything.  Equally
troubling
> is the fact that most of them, even knowing what happened, continued
to>  shop.

> What does this say about our culture?  Nothing good, and nothing that
eve> n remotely hearkens back to the celebration of Jesus' birth.

> Keely
> http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/
>

> > To: vision2020 at moscow.com
> > From: thansen at moscow.com
> > Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:47:53 +0000
> > Subject: [Vision2020] Wal-Mart Worker Dies After Shoppers Knock Him
Down

> > >From ABC News at:
> >
> > http://www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=6353623

> > Wal-Mart Worker Dies After Shoppers Knock Him Down
> > Wal-Mart worker dies after being knocked down by throng of shoppers at
NY>
> > store
> > By COLLEEN LONG
> >
> > ---------
> >
> > http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_wal_mart_violence_081128_mn.jpg
> > Police say a Wal-Mart worker has died after being trampled by a throng
of>
> > unruly shoppers shortly after the Long Island store opened Friday.
> >
> > ---------
> >
> > A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers
eager>
> > for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban
Wal-
> > Mart, authorities said.
> >
> > At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley
Stream>  on
> > Long Island was closed.
> >
> > Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a
"tra> gic
> > situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was
> > doing maintenance work at the store.
> >
> > "He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43,
told>  the
> > Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and
> > killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to
figh> t
> > people off my back."
> >
> > Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a
hospital>
> > where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not
> > released and the cause of death was not immediately known.
> >
> > A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening
time,>
> > shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to
the>
> > ground."
> >
> > A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.
> >
> > Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the
annual
> > bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early
and>
> > stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available
in>
> > limited quantities.
> >
> > Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch
> > high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.
> >
> > Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager
> > shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to
save
> > the worker's life.
> >
> > "They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said
Halcy> on
> > Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."
> >
> > A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation,
a> nd
> > she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt.
Anthony>
> > Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people
> > suffered minor injuries, he said.
> >
> > Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the
gr> oup
> > knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on
the>
> > day after Thanksgiving.
> >
> > Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan
Fogleman>
> > said.
> >
> > "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top
> > priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and
> > their families at this difficult time."

> > Seasons Greetings, Moscow.
> >
> > Tom Hansen
> > Moscow, Idaho

"For a lapse Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman