[Vision2020] The Persecution of Quakers: Shame OnOurPuritanForefathers

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:06:53 PST 2008

> Kai wrote:
>
> For each of us, the truth will be revealed at death.

Kai,

And when the truth is revealed to you, how will you feel about things that you were wrong about and your actions or non-actions to perpetuate injustices against other persecuted groups like same sex couples?  Do you think that in the great beyond that you will be asked to defend your stated position that 'separate but equal' treatment of same sex couples as appropriate in lieu of total equality which has no adverse affects you or your friends and family members?  And if you don't think that you will be asked to defend your stated position in the hereafter, then I'll ask you to defend it in the here and now and we'll all see if you are up to the task.

Also, I never did see your response to my specific question of 'If such an egregious and obvious wrong, why did interracial marriage bans existed in American society?'.

You did state that you were in an an interracial marriage (which appears to me for whatever reasons which are completely none of my business has now ended).  What a victory for equal rights and both you and your partner that society (or more accurately the activists courts) had revoked interracial marriage which was a reprehensible and indefensible wrong perpetrated on God knows how many interracial couples.  However, had interracial marriage bans been in effect during the time you were together with your partner, this still would have not prevented the two of you from creating offspring.  Thus the only perhaps negative effect on your child who in your words 'is the product of [your interracial] marriage' would have been that you, your partner, and your child would have not received the same rights / benefits / protections that are allowed to couples who are not banned from marrying.  Since you think that this is a perfectly appropriate situation for families of same sex couples to endure, I have mixed feelings when I say that it's unfortunate that you and your family were not subjected to this same type of treatment so that you all could then have personally experienced this situation of being an unequal family and thus clearly now be able to see all the injustices of this inequality.

Sorry y'all for all the very personal scenarios in this email.  Marriage is a deeply personal union and people have many different reasons for getting married, but they only have one for banning a particular group marrying - and that is intense dislike of that group.  Fight on for equality for same couples and their families.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

-Scott