[Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Nov 24 14:53:17 PST 2008

Kai -

"Drinking age" is a state matter.  I realize you already know this.  I
only mention it to preface my comment that . . .

Back when my wife first attended UI, back in the late 60s, the legal
drinking age in Idaho was 19.  Lowering the drinking age does not violate
any part of the US Constitution that I am aware of.

If you truly want to lower the drinking age in Idaho, I suggest that you
campaign for it.  If your campaign is successful, maybe we'll see it on
the next state ballot.

As far as active duty military service members are concerned . . .

According to Department of Defense Instructon 1015.10 at:

http://tinyurl.com/6289gz

"The minimum drinking age on a DoD installation located in a State
(including the District of Columbia) shall be consistent with the age
established by the law of that State as the State minimum drinking age.
Minimum drinking age means the minimum age established for persons who may
purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages.

In the case of a DoD installation located in more than one State or in one
State but within 50 miles of another State or Mexico or Canada, the
minimum drinking age on that DoD installation shall be the lowest
applicable age of the State in which the DoD installation is located or
the State or jurisdiction of Mexico or Canada that is within 50 miles of
such DoD installation.

The minimum drinking age on a DoD installation located outside the United
States shall be 18 years of age. Higher minimum drinking age will be based
on international treaties and agreements and on the local situation as
determined by the local installation commander.

The commander of a DoD installation may waive the above requirements, if
such commander determines that the exemption is justified by special
circumstances. Special circumstances are those infrequent, non-routine
military occasions when an entire unit, as a group, marks at a military
installation a uniquely military occasion such as the conclusion of
arduous military duty or the anniversary of the establishment of a
military service or organization. The event must be held on a military
installation. The commander shall ensure that appropriate controls are in
place to prevent endangering Military Service members or the surrounding
community."

As far as 18-year-olds being sentenced to life in prison or sentenced to
death, two things:

1)  Having been sentenced to life in prison or sentenced to death, the 18-
year-old had (prior to sentencing) already been convicted of a major
felony.

2)  Having reached the age of 18, the person is no longer a minor.

Again, if you want to lower the drinking age, campaign for it.

> You mean like not allowing certain adults, those between the ages of 18-
20,
> to drink alcohol?
> They can vote, they can go to prison for life, can receive the death
> sentence, can smoke, can go to war and get wounded or die.
> But they can't drink alcohol?
> Sounds like age discrimination to
me....