[Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:55:58 PST 2008

Kai,

Here's my answer's to your questions and my questions back to you...
> Do societies not have the right to decide what is acceptable
and what isn't?
I don't know if they have the right to decide, but they seem to have the power to enforce.  In terms of gay marriage bans, I look at past history to see how good / bad for society previous marriage bans have been.  In terms of bans on interracial marriages, I see only negative effects on both individuals as well as society as a whole.  What's your take on interracial marriage bans?  Good or bad?  If bad, why did these bans exist in the first place and are these the same reasons why gay marriages are banned?  I think so.

> Why not make polygamy legal?
You tell me why not since you asked the question.  Make your case?  Extending identical rights to same sex couples that married couples are afforded neither helps not hinders the case for multiple marriages.  The rights already exist for married couples.  How would you go about extending these same rights for married couples to married groups of people.  You asked the question, so I'd like to hear if you have a coherent logic process for extending married couples right to married groups.  Good luck.

> Why not let brothers marry sisters or first cousins marry
first cousins? (Other than the inbreeding issue)
Are these marriages banned?  If so, how?  State Constitutions across the country are being amended to strictly define marriage as between one man and one woman.  This would not preclude an adult brother from marrying his adult sister or prevent adult first cousins from marrying.  If this is such a societal ill, than why has this not also been included in these state constitutional marriage definition amendments.  The answer is that is not required since the only goal of these amendments is to slam the door on gay marriage.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, incestial marriage is more societally acceptable than gay marriage.  Please explain that since again you brought it up.

> Why not just make an amendment stating a marriage can be
between ANY consenting adults? That would be the best way, wouldn't
it?
> I can just hear the champagne corks popping as divorce lawyers
celebrate the thought of multiple wives divorcing a husband.
I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve here Kai.  At issue is that there are benefits (health, tax, property transfer, rights of survivorship, etc.) that are granted to married couples.  same sex couples are denied those rights for no logical reason.  Couples benefits must have a positive effect on society otherwise why not just ban those benefits altogether?  And yet, when these same benefits that have a positive effect for married couples are granted to same couples, this is deemed as negative for society.  Why?

-Scott

From: editor at lataheagle.com
To: josephc at wsu.edu; kjajmix1 at msn.com; vision2020 at moscow.com; thansen at moscow.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:05:19 -0800
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Re: [Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage