[Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Nov 20 07:24:08 PST 2008

>From today's (November 20, 2008) Spokesman Review -

California Supreme Court to hear cases on gay marriage ban
Lisa Leff
Associated Press
November 20, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO – California's highest court agreed Wednesday to hear
several legal challenges to the state's new ban on same-sex marriage but
refused to allow gay couples to resume marrying before it rules.

The California Supreme Court accepted three lawsuits seeking to nullify
Proposition 8, a voter-approved constitutional amendment that overruled
the court's decision in May that legalized gay marriage.

All three cases claim the measure abridges the civil rights of a
vulnerable minority group. They argue that voters alone did not have the
authority to enact such a significant constitutional change.

As is its custom when it takes up cases, the court elaborated little.
However, the justices did say they want to address what effect, if any, a
ruling upholding the amendment would have on the estimated 18,000 same-sex
marriages that were sanctioned in California before Election Day.

Gay rights groups and local governments petitioning to overturn the ban
were joined by the measure's sponsors and Attorney General Jerry Brown in
urging the Supreme Court to consider whether Proposition 8 passes legal
muster.

The initiative's opponents had also asked the court to grant a stay of the
measure, which would have allowed gay marriages to begin again while the
justices considered the cases. The court denied that request.

The justices directed Brown and lawyers for the Yes on 8 campaign to
submit arguments by Dec. 19 on why the ballot initiative should not be
nullified. It said lawyers for the plaintiffs, who include same-sex
couples who did not wed before the election, must respond before Jan. 5.

Oral arguments could be scheduled as early as March, according to court
spokeswoman Lynn Holton.

Seeya round town, Moscow.