[Vision2020] A big NO to the UAW

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 11:33:28 PST 2008

So now our national debt has passed over the 10 trillion dollar mark
and our soon-to-be Dem majority seem more than eager to add 50 - 70
billion on top of that.  What happened to the terrible burden our
children and grandchildren will face if we don't get a handle on
fiscal responsibility?  Ahhh - well that must have been when the GOP
was running the federal government.

Now we're looking at yet another poor me group wanting to feed at the
federal trough because "our expensive gas guzzling SUVs and overpriced
hybrids aren't selling."  Wahh wahh wahh.  I MIGHT feel a bit
sympathetic if it wasn't for a majority of this bailout being
earmarked for health benefits for retired UAW members.  Wow - how
nice.  Million of Americans have no affordable health insurance, or
none at all yet we have the glorious opportunity to contribute OUR
money to provide better benefits to retirees.  Is this a joke????

Granted, UAW has made some concessions in past labor agreements, but
even at that the average wage and benefit package for UAW is almost
$80 per hour.  This adds over $1500 to the cost of a new vehicle.
Looking at non-union Honda for example, with a wage/benefit cost of
less than $50 per hour, this adds a bit more than $500 to new vehicle
costs.  And you ask why the big 3 aren't selling cars???

Let em bankrupt and reorganize - you'll see more jobs at reasonable
pay and who knows - maybe even a better product.  But my tax dollars
to some retired UAW guy?  No way.

GS