[Vision2020] Ex-Generals, Admirals: Repeal Policy on Gays

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 18:20:39 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 17:50, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've always thought they should have simply had a "Don't Ask" policy.  Just
> like they currently don't ask if you prefer Fords over Chevys or where you
> stand on the Coke vs. Pepsi issue.

The military never follows its own policies, unless if is convenient
for them.  When I wrote performance evaluations for the airmen I
supervised, it was with specific instructions NOT to take into account
membership in the NCO club.  However, I was required to take into
account membership in the NCO club.

If you are liked -- if you are a member of the right sycophantic
clique -- then promotion was guaranteed regardless of your abilities,
with the reverse also being true.  Your discharge paperwork would
always list by-the-book reasons why your reenlistment application had
been declined, by they only went by the book when it was to their
advantage.

I knew flamboyant gays who served for entire careers, and closeted
gays who were put out promptly.  It all depended on the popularity
contest.