[Vision2020] America the Illiterate

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Nov 16 08:53:02 PST 2008

Thanks, Kenneth, for showing us this.

It's become increasingly clear to me, and more so after reading this article, that the greatest danger the United States faces is from ignorance within, not from terrorism outside.   It's ignorance that feeds racism, sexism, classism, homophobia and xenophobia, and poverty results when those who have power manipulate to keep those who don't in a continued downward spiral.  Further, if "ignorance" as it relates to the poor means only a lack of understanding, education, and power, then ignorance and poverty will bring this nation down far more than even the most sophisticated nuclear, biochemical, and conventional attacks.

The "ignorance" -- better, powerlessness -- of the poor has numerous roots; the ignorance -- better, stupidity -- of those who enjoy a degree of affluence and security does, too.  The difference is that with a willingness to plunge into shallowness and vapidity comes enormous accountability of an individual and corporate nature that God will not overlook.  If churches equipped and encouraged people, all people, to learn and to discern and then to plunge into a world of complexities, there would be a tremendous improvement.

On the other hand, it's just sooooo much easier to stick to the hot-button simplicity of "Adam and Steve" and Presidents-elect sharing a milkshake with Bill Ayers . . .

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/