[Vision2020] Army Breaches 'Brass Ceiling'

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 15 06:19:08 PST 2008

>From today's (November 15, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Army breaks 'brass ceiling' with promotion of general

----------------

Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody is pictured Friday during her promotion ceremony to
four-star general at the Pentagon.

http://tinyurl.com/5uhduk

----------------

WASHINGTON – The Army on Friday promoted the first woman ever to attain
the rank of four-star general in the U.S. military, Gen. Ann Dunwoody, a
long-awaited step that senior officers described as breaking a "brass
ceiling."

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates recognized Dunwoody at a Pentagon
ceremony as "a soldier and leader of the highest caliber" who has served
in the Army for 33 years, much of it in positions of command.

Dunwoody also took the helm Friday of the Army Materiel Command at Fort
Belvoir, one of the Army's largest organizations with nearly 130,000
personnel in about 150 locations. Gen. George Casey, Army chief of staff,
hailed her as "one of our premier logisticians."

Pinned with her fourth star on her dress-blue uniform in a room packed
with senior Pentagon and military leaders, Dunwoody said she was humbled
by the honor and gave credit to a family upbringing that encouraged hard
work and the unconstrained pursuit of goals.

"I never ... even heard of the word 'glass ceilings,' " she said at a
Pentagon news conference later. "It was always ... the glass was always
half-full. You could always be anything you wanted to be."

Dunwoody, who was born into a military family and says she has "olive-drab
blood," joined the Army as a second lieutenant in 1975.

"They paid me $500 a month during my senior year in college and they sent
me to Airborne school. I couldn't believe they were going to pay me to
jump out of airplanes," she said.

"Even though I thought I was only coming to the Army for two years, I now
know from the day I first donned my uniform, soldiering is all I ever
wanted to do."

Seeya at City Hall, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.