[Vision2020] Shirley Caldwell

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 14 18:56:34 PST 2008

>From the Obituaries section of the November 5, 2008 Moscow-Pullman Daily
News -

OBITUARY: Shirley R. Caldwell
Posted on: Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Shirley R. Caldwell, 83, a 60-year resident of Moscow, died Sunday at
Gritman Medical Center. A possible cause of her sudden death was a
ruptured abdominal aneurysm.

Shirley was born to Nate and Celia Grossman on Dec. 25, 1924 in Lincoln,
Neb., where she grew up, attended public schools and received a Bachelor
of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska in 1946. There she met and
married Harry H. Caldwell, then a graduate student. They moved to Moscow
in 1948 where Harry became an instructor of geography at the University of
Idaho. Harry retired as professor emeritus of geography in 1982 and died
in 1990.

Shirley received her master's degree in secondary education from the
University of Idaho in 1970 and went on to teach social studies and
English in Moscow Junior High School for 11 years.

She and her husband established the Harry and Shirley Caldwell Scholarship
Endowment in 1988 which is awarded to deserving students in geography.

A special scholarship that was significant to Shirley was establishing the
Shirley Grossman Caldwell Scholarship endowment in 1989. This special
scholarship is awarded to single mothers or fathers who are the primary
caretakers of their children and are pursuing a degree at the University
of Idaho. In recent years, this scholarship has grown to include two
students annually, providing $4,000 each for funding their college
expenses. Shirley has also provided funds to furnish a seminar room in
McClure Hall in her late husband's name. She has been highly active in
community affairs, having served as secretary of the Latah County Fair
board for more than eight years. She has been an active member of the
League of Women Voters and served for two years as president of the Latah
chapter of AARP. Her membership and participation in local service and
charitable organizations, including the Unitarian Universalist Church of
the Palouse, was well-known throughout the community. Many in the
community, including UI students, will remember her for her caring,
helpful, generous and thoughtful ways.

In November 2007, Shirley received the Idaho Treasure award from the
University of Idaho Retirees Association.

She is survived by a son, Kenneth, 61, of Fairview, Iowa, a daughter,
Claire Williams, 57, of Las Vegas, Nev., a grandson, Max Williams of Las
Vegas and a granddaughter, Charlotte Williams of Berkley, Calif. Shirley's
only brother, Harold Grossman of Miami, Fla., died last week and she was
planning to attend his military burial at Arlington National Cemetery next
week.

>From Bert Cross, her devoted friend and partner: "Shirley was a great
lady, beautiful on the outside and the inside. She will be remembered as
someone who touched the lives of so many of us in the community. Hers was
a life to truly celebrate. Both of us, widow and widower, recognized how
lucky we were in late life to have each other in mutual love and respect.
She was a class act."

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the
Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse, P.O. Box 9342, Moscow, ID
83843. Arrangements for her memorial service are pending.

Rest well, Shirley.

> I just read in the Latah Eagle that Shirley Caldwell passed away. If it
was in the Daily
News,I missed it. Her husband Harry was an excellent teacher. I enjoyed
his courses
immensely. Shirley was active in a wide variety of local organizations.
The Obituary in
the Eagle was real nice. For those that do not take it, I suggest that you
get a copy. She
will be missed.