[Vision2020] Students Chant "Assassinate Obama" on School Bus

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 14 08:09:26 PST 2008

>From "2 News" (Boise) at:

http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34274374.html

Students chant "Assassinate Obama" on school bus

-------------------

Video downloaded from KIDK News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDp0KZ_OeI

-------------------

REXBURG - Controversial words spoken by kids on a school bus have some
Madison County parents concerned.

Matthew Whoolery and his wife aren't blaming the school district for what
happened on the bus but they do think all parents need to be careful about
what they say and teach their children.

Whoolery and his wife couldn't believe it when their second and third
graders got off the bus last week and told them what other students were
saying.

"They just hadn't heard anything like this before," said Whoolery. "They
were chanting on the bus, 'Assassinate Obama. Assassinate Obama.' Then
adding in a name sometimes of a classmate on the bus, 'Assassinate Obama
and Kate.'"

The Whoolery's explained to their kids what assassinate means then
contacted the school about what was happening.

"I think the thing that struck us was just like, 'Where did they get the
word and why would they put that word and that person together?'" said
Whoolery.

It's not that the Whoolery's are big Obama fans they just don't like
people joking about a serious matter concerning any leader of the country.

"I'm assuming if it were, 'Assassinate McCain' you'd feel the same way?"
asked reporter Nate Eaton.

"No question about it," replied Whoolery.

After the incident, the Madison School district superintendent sent an
email to all teachers, principals, and bus drivers saying that all
students should show proper respect for elected officials.

If a student does say something inappropriate, the adult is to calm them
down and tell them the behavior is unacceptable.

"I don't think that the majority of people in Rexburg have extreme ideas
like that but we were just surprised that it would go that far," said
Whoolery.

The Whoolery's moved to Rexburg a year ago. They came from the Middle East
where they lived for three years.

In all their time living there, they never heard any comments similar to
these about any leaders there or here.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)