[Vision2020] "unpleasant death as a result of disease or illness". and other discriminatory statements against the elderly and disabled

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:46:06 PST 2008

Donovan - Well I don't think I will take your advice quite yet, since
I'm in great health (as far as I know) and not facing any prolonged
terminal, painful disease or illness.  But be very sure that if
tomorrow I find out I have 6 months to live and the last 4 will be in
pain and suffering, I'll be on the first bus to Oregon, lawyer in tow.

This really has nothing to do with age per se.  Granted many of those
suffering from incurable illness and pain are elderly, and many of
them would like the opportunity to say "Hey I've had a great ride and
I'm ready to get off."  That being the case, who are we to say "Nope -
suffer and enjoy your old age you ingrate!"

I think if someone 20, 30, 40, whatever is facing an unpleasant demise
from illness, they should have such a choice as well.  Many elderly
people enjoy their later years, and I applaud them for that.  I hope I
am one of them.  I also hope that if my quality of life is so very
compromised that it will not allow me to do so, I have the right go to
a much more pleasant place.

GS