[Vision2020] Rights, Guns, Abortion, Speech, and Death

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Nov 10 17:38:10 PST 2008

Hi Joe,

Thanks for this fine and clear exposition on our
rights.  It demonstrates once again why for
centuries people have turned to philosophers as
consultants on how to legislate properly.  As a
historical precedent I note the cooperation of
James Mill, Jeremy Bentham, and J. S. Mill for
English law in the 19th Century and the synergy
between John Locke, Edward Coke, and English Common Law in an earlier century.

Nick

At 05:10 PM 11/10/2008, Glenn Schwaller wrote:
>Dr. Campbell - so taking this one more step,
>should and would these "rights" be extended to
>those who choose death with dignity?  Does not
>the right to privacy similarly ground the
>"right" to choose the timing of one's death as well?
>
>Thank you for your reply
>
>GS
>
>On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Campbell,
>Joseph <<mailto:josephc at wsu.edu>josephc at wsu.edu> wrote:
>
>Scott,
>

>I've been reading your posts lately about the
>possible threat to the 2nd amendment given the
>recent Obama election and, although I find your
>thoughts and arguments interesting, I am in firm
>disagreement with your view. So I'd like to say
>what I think about the issues. I've made these
>points before but I don't think I've made them all to you.
>

>First, you mention a lack of consistency between
>liberal views on abortion rights and liberal
>views on gun rights. Some of the confusion may
>be settled if, instead of talking about abortion
>"rights," we talked about the right to privacy,
>the right upon which the "right" to abortion is
>founded. Granted the right to privacy is not an
>explicit right, not explicitly noted in the bill
>of rights, for instance. But the argument is
>that several of those rights would make no sense
>were there not a prior right to privacy. We
>could talk about whether this argument is good
>or bad at a later point but for now let's just
>assume that there is a right to privacy that grounds the "right" to abortion.
>

>No one thinks that we have an absolute right to
>privacy, one that should not be infringed under
>any circumstance. In a court of law, for
>instance, a lawyer might ask a defendant
>questions about his private life that might be
>deemed inappropriate under normal circumstances.
>Yet the defendant cannot, or cannot always,
>refuse to answer on the basis of his right to
>privacy. A search warrant allows police to
>investigate the drawers containing your undergarments. Similar examples abound.
>

>Consider next the right to free speech. That
>right is not absolute either. I do not have the
>right to slander you, to libel you, to tell lies
>about you, or even (I would say) to insult you.
>I have a right to speak freely and in so doing I
>might insult you but that does not mean that I
>have a right to insult you. I looked up 'human
>rights' in an on-line dictionary and got: "The
>basic rights and freedoms to which all humans
>are entitled, often held to include the right to
>life and liberty, freedom of thought and
>expression, and equality before the law." I am
>entitled to speak freely but I'm not entitled to
>insult you. Still, in an effort to ensure the
>former we might have to put up with the instances of the latter.
>

>I would say the same about the "right" to
>abortion, which I would not call a right at all.
>I have a right to privacy and what that ensures
>is that the government cannot tell me when I
>should and when I should not have a child. That
> [...]

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://www.home.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://www.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/ift.htm