[Vision2020] Rights, Guns, Abortion, and Speech

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:57:43 PST 2008

Well written Joe.  The only thing I disagree with is your statement 'no one should be in favor of unrestricted abortion
“rights”.  I am, in fact, in favor of unrestricted abortion 'rights' and if you're interested to know why I hold this position let me know and I'll email you off line.  It's very unpleasant so this might fall in the category of when someone says 'you don't want to know', maybe you don't want to find out after the fact that you really didn't want to know.  In any event, even with existing abortion restrictions I don't go out of my way to do anything to battle those restrictions.  The abortion line may swing slightly from the right to left and vice versa, but I don't expect there to be a major shift in where the line is presently drawn.  The main target for the abortion wars are now aimed at the rights of US females under the age of 18 which is why there are a seemingly endless ballot measures for 'parental notification' or the more intrusive 'parental consent' for abortion.  And the anti-abortion crowd did manage to outlaw the procedure for partial birth abortion and I think that only succeeded in banning the procedure but not outlawing late term abortions which are now performed via a different procedure.

In terms of gun control laws, I think it would be beneficial if laws could keep the guns out of the hands of criminals and irresponsible people who shouldn't have them in the first place and simulataneously have no restrictions on the vast majority of gun owners / enthusiasts who are very respsonsible with their guns, but good luck trying to solve those problems with supposedly fair laws.  The bad guys by definition don't play by the rules of civil obedience so placing restrictive laws aimed at criminals / irresponsible people are simply not going to be effective on people who routinely break those laws.  And then at the same time, those restrictive gun laws then only restrict the rights of people who are actually responsible law abiding citizens.  This probably sounds like rhetoric right out of the NRA, but it's just common sense to me and again I don't do anything one way or the other personally to fight this battle.  I neither donate money to the NRA nor the ACLU, but I think they're both great American organizations and both are legally working within the guidelines of our system to make what each group thinks will be a better / safer society.  And the only thing I share about Dan and Kai's concern regarding 'brace yourself for Obama's assault on Second Amendment rights' may be to brace yourself for a legal battle and ensure you have a solid defense for upholding Second Amendment rights, but I have no fear - none - that the Second Amendment will emerge no only unscathed, but on even more solid footing (which is hard to believe it can more solid).  And if the Amendment is so weak to begin with, maybe it would be best to rip the whole thing out of the Constition and replace it with another amendment that define gun rights in absolutely no uncertain terms.  Constitutional Amendments don't ban rights with the exception the ones that ban same sex marriages (go figure how that happens) and also the Prohibition Amendment which was rather quickly nullified by a subsequent Amendment.

-Scott