[Vision2020] speaking of local flavor

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Mon Nov 10 07:12:14 PST 2008

November 22 will mark the end of an era for Moscow.  Gotta go get my
last Grandpa burger in a basket, and a French dip for my delicate
flower:

Biz Bits: End of an era

Ted's Burgers closes its doors after three decades in Moscow

Posted on: Sunday, November 09, 2008
Andy Kiblen, 33, said he was a "nervous wreck and preoccupied" until he
made one of the biggest decisions of his life Oct. 28.
That was the day he decided to close Ted's Burgers, ending a 21-year
slice of his life.
"We're not making it. We're digging a hole, and it will cost me less to
close than to stay open," the owner of Ted's Burgers said. "I'm ready to
close this chapter of life and move on."
A number of factors went into the decision, including rising prices, the
July increase of minimum wage and the one scheduled for 2009.
When his costs increased enough he would pass the cost on to the
customer, like most businesses do.
"Menu prices go up, and that's not right," he said. "I feel bad because
I think they're too high."
The economic meltdown also was a big part of his decision to close.
"I could cut expenses one more time," he said. "But I would jeopardize a
lot, including my house, and I wasn't willing to risk my kids' future."
The business will close Nov. 22. On that day, Kiblen plans a send-off
party with inexpensive food - "kind of like a funeral."
Ted's has been a Moscow fixture since the 1970s and probably has
employed more high school students over the years than most businesses
in town.
The business was started by Ted Carlson, who ran six A&W Root Beer
stores in the region. The Moscow A&W was located in west Moscow in 1968.
It moved to its present location in the 1970s and soon evolved into
Ted's under Carlson's ownership.
Ted's still bears the A&W pointy-roof design and the car hop stations in
the parking lot.
Kiblen used to hang out at the restaurant because his older brother,
Dave, worked there.
When he was 12, he began work there as a car hop, eventually working his
way up to cooking hamburgers.
He never looked back.
In 1996, he became a partner in the business with Carlson and his wife,
Cindy.
Ted Carlson died of cancer that year, and Kiblen took over the
day-to-day operations.
In 2001, he purchased the rest of the business except for small share
Cindy Carlson retained.
When he was close to making the decision to close, he contacted Cindy to
consult with her.
"She was surprised the decision didn't come earlier," he said. "I also
feel Ted is looking over my shoulder, and I feel good about that."
Kiblen's decision also is OK with his wife, Anji, who works at Bearable
Dentistry in Moscow.
"Anji didn't take an active role in the business except to support me in
whatever I wanted to do," he said. "She's been through the whole thing,
and it hasn't been easy for her."
For the last few years, Kiblen has divided his time between Ted's and
Latah Title Company, a title business started by his grandfather.
He had no intention of joining the family business but the sudden death
of his brother, Mike, in September 2004 left a void at the business.
Todd Kiblen, Andy's father, talked him into working at the title
company.
With Ted's closure, Andy Kiblen will devote full time to the business
with other family members including Todd, brother Dave and Deanna
Kiblen, Mike's widow.
Kiblen will keep the Ted's name but is willing to make "someone a
helluva deal on the building," he said.
The building sits on leased land.
"I have no regrets," he said. "I operated a business for years, not the
most profitable, but I gave it a go."
Ted's Burgers is located at 321 N. Main St.