[Vision2020] obama election / gun purchases

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 18:06:49 PST 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008 16:22:05 Dan Carscallen wrote:
> Ken says:
> ". . . Second Amendment privileges . . ."

Since the twelfth century the word privilege has meant "a right or immunity
granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage or favor." [Merriam-Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition] In this context the word privilege does
not diminish the strength of the right, but recognizes that the right exists
among other rights, and that it is enjoyed along with the administrative
responsibilities that attend to it. The right is the naked body; the
privilege is the body dressed for public presentation and discourse.

> I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that the Second Amendment is part of the
> "Bill of Rights", not the "Bill of Privileges".

Since 1774 the phrase "bill of rights" has meant "a document containing a
formal statement of rights, specifically, a summary of the fundamental rights
and privileges guaranteed to a people against violation by the state -- used
especially of the first 10 amendments of the U.S. Constitution." [M-W 11th]

Since right and privilege are defined in terms of one another, it is
reasonable to conclude that they are synonymous, but perhaps not identical.
My interpretation is that privilege includes the right and the administrative
environment within which it exists as a practical matter.

<snip>
> If you challenge one, which one is next?

If the contemporary news reports from California are to be believed, the right
of contract with regard to marriage may be ripe for discussion, especially as
it relates to recognition by various levels and aspects of governments.

> Why not the rest?

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose ...
 -- Ecclesiastes 3:1

> Will they be stronger for it?

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
 -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888